Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

12

Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

Kenny Balys-2

Bad ebay trader:  muzikelektronik
===============

EMU Emax l - Emax ll - ElllX - ElllXP - ElllXS AUDIO GRADE Power Supply!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMU-Emax-l-Emax-ll-ElllX-ElllXP-ElllXS-AUDIO-GRADE-Power-Supply-/152334232539?hash=item2377d3ebdb:g:DjAAAOSwZ1BXd-FH

So this guy is selling converted a converted computer power supply for
the Emax and that sounded interesting to me. My Emax power supply is due
for maintenance and I thought it might be nice to replace the whole
thing rather than get involved in a total re-cap. Laziness.

Naturally, I am curious about what goes into my gear and so I ask the
basic questions.

This guy instantly flies into a rage and becomes insulting.

His attitude makes me suspect dishonesty and proves idiocy.

His main business seems to be selling $4 displays for $30+ to
unsuspecting musicians.

Here is the actual email exchange from Ebay:
=============

[me:]
I am interested in your power supply but the instructions are not clear
in your description. Is this a drop in replacement? Is it newly
manufactured?

Thank you for your trouble.

[muzikelektronik:]
I'm a lil confused with your msg. There are no instructions in the
listing. Theres a simple statement of fact. That is, the old power
supply is obsolete and not available anymore. therfore, its necessary to
take a modern one and adapt it so it will interface with the old
connectors. Its not complicated in any way. I simply build a new
interface so it'll mate with the old equipment listed in the listing.
The voltages are all correct and in the correct positions. The power
supply has slighly different mounting points but this can easily be
improvised around. the decision you have to make is simple, do you want
to do all the work yourself or pay me a small fee to do it for you.
Worth mentioning, the power supplies cost £40 to start with, so, I only
charge a small fee to build them. To be honest, I take a dim view of
anybody who questions this too much. not suggesting that's you, but I do
get people complaining about the prices. Rgds

[me:]
With your further description I now understand that you would be
providing a fully functional, drop in replacement for an Emax. Your
listing could be more clearly stated me thinks. You made it sounds a
little like more work needed to be done on the power supply before
installation.
I am an engineer and I squander plenty of time, arms deep in old synths
and other gear and have had my full share of "anybodies" and other such
folk so I understand your frustration.
So just to be crystal clear... I give you money, you send me a power
supply to Iceland, I install it in my Emax and bin the old one? Yes?
Cheers

[muzikelektronik:]
Dude. Look. Its probably better if you go and do the whole thing
yourself. Your an engineer, so you should be able to sort stuff put on
your own without my help. I get the impression from reading your msgs
your going to complain when you get hold of this because it's not 100%
the same as the old one.
I think it's best if we don't do any business, I wouldn't have any
confidence you'd be haply with an adapted modern replacement that has a
slightly different footprint / mounting points. occasionally old ones
pop up for sale, those will be a direct drop in replacement. Buy one of
those. Rgds

[me:]
"you get the impression"....you are wrong. "dude"? I have never ever had
a negative; you have. Was not looking for advice, but I am happy not to
do any business with you ever. Bye.

=============
This guy is a total and complete douche bag. (and now you know too)

Avoid him.

P.S. A little web search and I found almost the exact same story from
Gear Sluts::

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11677858-post3042.html

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

r- jeancarlo

Looks like Ebay's policies drive sellers mad.

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

Jason Proctor
selling on ebay is like painting a large target on yourself, and then being charged for the paint.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM, r- jeancarlo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks like Ebay's policies drive sellers mad.

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

Justin Maxwell
+1. ebay stole $900 from me and i've had cover-my-ass clauses in all my sales since then. I still rely on it for selling non-music gear but hate it all the same. To be honest I find selling gear through perfect circuit on consignment is far better than selling myself on ebay. Their selling it drives the price up 10% or so as a reputable seller with a great storefront, and that makes up for the commission.

On the other hand I just sold my evenfall on Reverb and now find myself helping a modular noob make his first patch, which i am delighted to help with. So that is a much better experience.

On Dec 9 2016, at 2:34 pm, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
selling on ebay is like painting a large target on yourself, and then being charged for the paint.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM, r- jeancarlo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Looks like Ebay's policies drive sellers mad.

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

Jason Proctor
i only use it for non music gear that i can't sell elsewhere. the plus is the global market, the minuses are fees for everything, buyer-approved hack required to transact outside the ebay/paypal ecosystem, inaccurate shipping estimates, bitchy buyers who don't realise the seller is taking a bath, etc...

in theory the plus balances the minus, but in practice it ain't so.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:58 PM, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ebay tries quite hard to ensure that you don't send your email address in an ebay PM. this is "for your protection" but really to stop you doing a personal paypal outside ebay and circumventing the fee.

however, when the buyer paypals the seller, even via ebay, their email address becomes known. so the hack is for the buyer to check out via ebay, but then the seller refunds the payment, and communicates/transacts with the buyer using the address in the paypal email.

don't know whether this hack is well known, but it occurred to me when i refunded a buyer some of his total due to ebay's crazy shipping estimates (which don't support any kind of insurance, etc).

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

not so far, it occurred to me during the last ebay sale i did. the next time i have someone bitching about shipping, or someone who just seems cool, i will give it a go. or i'll sort out a way of encoding my email address in an ebay PM (like with HTML % encoding or somesuch) which the browser will display but the bots can't detect.

yeah the pro/con is that the price you get for your thing is 30% more than craigslist, but you end up losing that 30% in the various scams that whittle away at your total. which is why i only use it for shit that doesnt sell locally.

if i could find a good forum for vintage RPG stuff i'd abandon ebay in a shot.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 3:42 PM, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi John, I really couldn't say if its the same character.

The ebay account is in the UK but anyone can do that.

In any case, I have a very high tolerance for various different folk.
Ebay does drive sellers mad and too often customers can be the worst
part of the entire music business. I am an easy customer; I decide I
want something, I gather the resources, I pay the seller, I pay the
shipping, I pay the taxes when I get it (with only a small amount of
whining).

I noticed the link I had put down below for the gearslutz thing had a
bunch of schmutz. Here is the correct one.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11677858-post3042.html

In a private message I was cautioned that I should have said "Suspect
trader" rather than "Bad trader". Ok, thats true; I should have, but I
do stand by what I said in any case.

I won't poke this thread any more; thank you all for the bandwidth and
happy synthesizing!

On 09.12.16 23:46 , John Audette wrote:

> A very strange coincidence.   There was a guy on Muffs years ago who
> went by the exact same name, based out of Sherbrooke.   I used him a
> couple of times for repairs as I was often in the area.  Anyway, things
> we're ok with him for a short while but he eventually his anger bubbled
> up and lost me and others as customers.   Same shitty behaviour.   He
> actually still has a couple cheapish pieces that he simply never sent
> back to me.   His name was Stéphan and I see this guy goes by Stephen.
> Very interesting.
>
> -=john
>

>>                 P.S. A little web search and I found almost the exact
>>                 same story from
>>                 Gear Sluts::
>>
>>                 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11677858-post3042.html
>>                 <https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11677858-post3042.html&r=amFzb25AcmVkZmlzaC5uZXQ=&r=YW5hbG9ndWVAaHlwZXJyZWFsLm9yZw==>

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

David Messenger-2
This is how I got around it in the initial email I sent through the Ebay
mail for a way to pay for a second call to my call buyers:

"Thanks for you order {mssngr1} on a Mastin Call. If {@} you would like
a second call shipped {pacifier} out along with your first call, {.}
just send a separate, second payment for $7.00, ($6.00 2nd call, $1.00
shipping and handling) to {com} the email address I have provided for
you in brackets within the body of this message. (Ebay does not allow me
to send you a complete email address in the body of a post.) If you have
any questions about this or a general question about the calls and Mr.
Mastin feel free to give me a call at {phone number}. If I'm not here
leave a message and I will get back to you asap. Best, David"

I always give the person the chance to physically talk to me about it in
case they need further enlightening. Seems like your way would work
great for no fees to ebay, but paypal will still rape as expected.

D.

On 12/9/2016 4:46 PM, Jason Proctor wrote:

> not so far, it occurred to me during the last ebay sale i did. the
> next time i have someone bitching about shipping, or someone who just
> seems cool, i will give it a go. or i'll sort out a way of encoding my
> email address in an ebay PM (like with HTML % encoding or somesuch)
> which the browser will display but the bots can't detect.
>
> yeah the pro/con is that the price you get for your thing is 30% more
> than craigslist, but you end up losing that 30% in the various scams
> that whittle away at your total. which is why i only use it for shit
> that doesnt sell locally.
>
> if i could find a good forum for vintage RPG stuff i'd abandon ebay in
> a shot.

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

Steven Clements
absolute shit Michael...
I sold stuff on Reverb  only to people break things I've sold them demand I fix it and not allow it to be sent to the person I would send it to to be fixed... and reverb supports them on it.

I'm not doing that again I lost $300 in the mix

Steven

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Future_Sound _Of_Canada

You're referring to Stéphane Jutras, who worked under the name Muzik Electronix, right? He still lives out of Sherbrooke, Quebec, according to his Facebook profile, while eBay places the Muzik Elektronik that Kenny Balys has dealt with in the UK. It's *probably* not the same guy.

Cheers,

Andrew

-=john

-=john

Re: Bad ebay trader alert: muzikelektronik

David Bulog
only way you can cover yourself now is put “For parts or not working” on Ebay on all synths —Ebay is will enforce a 6 month warranty otherwise on your vintage synth
If a buyer really wants the item —they will accept the terms
On 10/12/2016, at 11:58 am, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

M V-5

Having known Stephen/muzikelektronik from previously, the similarities--name/manner--of this current one seem to be beyond coincidence.

Would be good if someone was able to confirm for sure.