'Born Under Punches' Guitar Solo

Alex Kestner
Does anyone know how they did that weird sounding guitar solo?  It
starts around 2:36, but the part I'm fascinated by is from 2:48 (or
so) through 3:17.

In researching this, I've found some sources that suggest it's Belew's
guitar fed into an EMS VCS3/AKS with Eno tweaking the knobs.
Evidently, Eno was fond of running all sorts of stuff through this
synth's ext. inputs around this time.  While it's entirely possible
that the VCS3/AKS had nothing to do with this guitar sound, it feels
right to my ears.

Can someone here help me out?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: 'Born Under Punches' Guitar Solo

Andrew Horton
I've wondered about this for a long time. The Talking Heads book
("this must be the place") simply says that Belew was really into
"using a guitar synthesizer" at the time, and has a quote from him
about how it's the difference between an artist using a pencil and
using a computer to do animation, but doesn't provide much more
detail.

AH

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Alex Kestner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know how they did that weird sounding guitar solo?  It starts
> around 2:36, but the part I'm fascinated by is from 2:48 (or so) through
> 3:17.
>
> In researching this, I've found some sources that suggest it's Belew's
> guitar fed into an EMS VCS3/AKS with Eno tweaking the knobs.  Evidently, Eno
> was fond of running all sorts of stuff through this synth's ext. inputs
> around this time.  While it's entirely possible that the VCS3/AKS had
> nothing to do with this guitar sound, it feels right to my ears.
>
> Can someone here help me out?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Re: 'Born Under Punches' Guitar Solo

Andrew Scheidler
What Alex wrote sounds reasonable...  I too have listened to that solo many
times trying to sort out exactly what was going on.  Belew is a master of
strange noises, but a lot of that is definitely *not* guitar tricks.  I
would love to hear the 'unprocessed' guitar part  :)

Drew (huge 'Heads' fan, both Talking and Severed)

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've wondered about this for a long time. The Talking Heads book
> ("this must be the place") simply says that Belew was really into
> "using a guitar synthesizer" at the time, and has a quote from him
> about how it's the difference between an artist using a pencil and
> using a computer to do animation, but doesn't provide much more
> detail.
>
> AH
>

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Alex Kestner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how they did that weird sounding guitar solo?  It starts
> > around 2:36, but the part I'm fascinated by is from 2:48 (or so) through
> > 3:17.
> >
> > In researching this, I've found some sources that suggest it's Belew's
> > guitar fed into an EMS VCS3/AKS with Eno tweaking the knobs.  Evidently,
> Eno
> > was fond of running all sorts of stuff through this synth's ext. inputs
> > around this time.  While it's entirely possible that the VCS3/AKS had
> > nothing to do with this guitar sound, it feels right to my ears.
> >
> > Can someone here help me out?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex

Re: 'Born Under Punches' Guitar Solo

Andrew Scheidler
I am going to ask Adrian about this when I see him in a couple weeks.

What do you think the chances are of him remembering?

Drew

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Andrew Scheidler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What Alex wrote sounds reasonable...  I too have listened to that solo many
> times trying to sort out exactly what was going on.  Belew is a master of
> strange noises, but a lot of that is definitely *not* guitar tricks.  I
> would love to hear the 'unprocessed' guitar part  :)
>
> Drew (huge 'Heads' fan, both Talking and Severed)
>

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I've wondered about this for a long time. The Talking Heads book
>> ("this must be the place") simply says that Belew was really into
>> "using a guitar synthesizer" at the time, and has a quote from him
>> about how it's the difference between an artist using a pencil and
>> using a computer to do animation, but doesn't provide much more
>> detail.
>>
>> AH
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Alex Kestner <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Does anyone know how they did that weird sounding guitar solo?  It
>> starts
>> > around 2:36, but the part I'm fascinated by is from 2:48 (or so) through
>> > 3:17.
>> >
>> > In researching this, I've found some sources that suggest it's Belew's
>> > guitar fed into an EMS VCS3/AKS with Eno tweaking the knobs.  Evidently,
>> Eno
>> > was fond of running all sorts of stuff through this synth's ext. inputs
>> > around this time.  While it's entirely possible that the VCS3/AKS had
>> > nothing to do with this guitar sound, it feels right to my ears.
>> >
>> > Can someone here help me out?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Alex

Re: 'Born Under Punches' Guitar Solo

AntManBee
...well if he doesn't no one will I guess. I only met Adrian once,
when I was support act for a King Crimson UK tour in 1982, but he was
a great guy. He could make these incredible sounds (it was at the time
of the Discipline album) & I remember he had a table with his delay
unit on so that he could easily adjust the feedback control. Stupidly,
I didn't check what he had in the way of effects but, to paraphrase
from the Matrix (sorry!), if Fripp was there to balance the equation,
Belew was there to unbalance it.

I'm still impressed that he can sing & play Frame By Frame at the same
time - the 7/8 meter, with it's off-setting by Fripp, is hard enough
without singing a rubato line over the top. But why did he change his
name from Robert to Adrian???

Matt

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:19:32 -0500
To: Horton <[hidden email]>