Boutique SH 101 is coming

123

Boutique SH 101 is coming

Andrew Dean-2
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/

My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Mark C
It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are right about digital.

Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the colours when doing a boutique 101.

On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/

My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Jason Proctor
just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching the original

should sound authentic though!

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are right about digital.

Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the colours when doing a boutique 101.

On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/

My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

dubsiren
SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.

The blue looks spiffy though.

#pass

Sent from iMatt

On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:

just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching the original

should sound authentic though!

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are right about digital.

Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the colours when doing a boutique 101.

On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/

My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Justin Maxwell
two things:

1. upcoming malekko 101 killer is coming out
2. if i didn’t have a 101 i’d buy an atlantis + metropolis in a keyboard chassis. you don’t have to go modular to make a kickass instrument

On Jul 24, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Sent from Astro for Mac

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

skunk3
I think the SH-101 plugout sounds really nice based upon all I've heard.

I am willing to bet that this new boutique addition will basically be that, only in a small form factor. As long as it has midi, trig in, and the CV I/O at a low price point, I think it'd be pretty awesome!

Of course, if I really had the money I'd LOVE to have a Metropolis+Atlantis setup with just a couple of basic utilities. Something really simple. (I think I posted something about this a while back?)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from Astro for Mac

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

negativesaucer
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Kenny Balys-2

My only concern is that the sequencer is not the non-transposable seq of
the JU-06, JX-03, JP-08. That sequencer is utterly useless to me. I need
to be able to transpose at will.

ie) on the 101, I *and many of you* hover on the transpose button while
playing a sequencer live. I even jigged a toggle onto 1 of my 101's

On 24.07.17 22:14 , skunk3 wrote:

> I think the SH-101 plugout sounds really nice based upon all I've heard.
>
> I am willing to bet that this new boutique addition will basically be that,
> only in a small form factor. As long as it has midi, trig in, and the CV
> I/O at a low price point, I think it'd be pretty awesome!
>
> Of course, if I really had the money I'd LOVE to have a Metropolis+Atlantis
> setup with just a couple of basic utilities. Something really simple. (I
> think I posted something about this a while back?)

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

DJ Maytag
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Mark C
It would be appealing if it had the clock-in input to advance the sequencer but the JX-03 (jx3 and sh101 had similar sequencers?) was missing this so I doubt it.

On 24 Jul 2017 23:36, "DJ Maytag" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Andrew Dean-2
I dont think it has much to do with what their engineers can design, more about the market perception of the ACB brand

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 10:36 AM, DJ Maytag <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

skunk3
The TB-03 has a trigger input and the original didn't have one. If the SH-01 didn't have a trigger in, I'd be amazed and very let down.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Andrew Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont think it has much to do with what their engineers can design, more about the market perception of the ACB brand

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 10:36 AM, DJ Maytag <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

skunk3
The thing that bugs me about this supposed new boutique model is the inclusion of the pitch and mod strips on the side... they're basically expecting people to be using those stupid, tiny little boutique keyboard docks to play these. If they got rid of those two touch strips they would have far more room to make everything else a bit larger.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:08 PM, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
The TB-03 has a trigger input and the original didn't have one. If the SH-01 didn't have a trigger in, I'd be amazed and very let down.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Andrew Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont think it has much to do with what their engineers can design, more about the market perception of the ACB brand

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 10:36 AM, DJ Maytag <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Computer Controlled
Yea I don't like those strips either.  Hopefully they'll put a proper portamento pot on there.  I really dislike having to use the mod strip for that.

Sent from The Off World Colonies.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Steven Clements
with hope... they've got the bug from Studio Electronics and will venture into analogue <gasp>

Steven

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Computer Controlled <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yea I don't like those strips either.  Hopefully they'll put a proper portamento pot on there.  I really dislike having to use the mod strip for that.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:24 PM skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
The thing that bugs me about this supposed new boutique model is the inclusion of the pitch and mod strips on the side... they're basically expecting people to be using those stupid, tiny little boutique keyboard docks to play these. If they got rid of those two touch strips they would have far more room to make everything else a bit larger.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:08 PM, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
The TB-03 has a trigger input and the original didn't have one. If the SH-01 didn't have a trigger in, I'd be amazed and very let down.

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Andrew Dean <[hidden email]> wrote:
I dont think it has much to do with what their engineers can design, more about the market perception of the ACB brand

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 at 10:36 AM, DJ Maytag <[hidden email]> wrote:
Having been all up inside my SH-101 for a while recently, I can say with 100% certainty that this absolutely could be reduced down to that form factor, and be all analog in SMT. The discrete components inside the OG 101 weren't really that big and the single sided PCB traces weren't laid out very efficiently (plus LOTS of cables between several boards, one of which won't be needed due to no built in keyboard).

I'll put $5 up if I'm wrong.

Mitch
On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 PM negativesaucer <[hidden email]> wrote:
atlantis+metropolis, while being obviously more capable, is MUCH more
expensive, even if you dont count case/psu/keyboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 6:02 PM, dubsiren <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SH-101s are still easy enough to get, and Euro guys can get the Intellijel.
>
> The blue looks spiffy though.
>
> #pass
>
> Sent from iMatt
>
> On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> just a repackaging of the plugout code into something aesthetically matching
> the original
>
> should sound authentic though!
>

> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It has the touch strips that are missing from the se-02 so I think you are
>> right about digital.
>>
>> Interesting to see it in blue, I forgot they could make (market) all the
>> colours when doing a boutique 101.
>>
>> On 24 Jul 2017 22:49, "Andrew Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/07/23/roland-sh-101-getting-official-clone/
>>
>> My guess is not analogue - otherwise it would undermine the plugout
>> version's claim to be just as good as the real thing.

Sent from The Off World Colonies.

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Kylee Kennedy
I bet this SH-101 will be crippled to 4 voices only.
;)

Actually a four voice 101 I'd be into.
-Kylee

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Jason Proctor
is the System-1 101 plugout limited to mono?

otherwise that would be a four voice 101 :-)

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Kylee Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
I bet this SH-101 will be crippled to 4 voices only.
;)

Actually a four voice 101 I'd be into.
-Kylee

Re: Boutique SH 101 is coming

Mike Perkowitz
Administrator

I'd love to see the 101-style sequencer instead of the one on the Juno etc. An arpeggiator on one of these things would be nice too

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:14 PM, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Matt Davey
the buttons on it appear the same as the sequencer ones from a real 101, so i guess there's a good chance it works the same way.  Looks like it also may have an advantage over the 101, in that it may have bank saving.

123