Quantcast

Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
1234
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Steven Clements
The last guitar I bought was blessed by the pope (in effigy)... I still can't play like Clapton
:(



On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am happy for people who are excited and hope retailers can help move the economy.

But wow....a musical instrument needs to be blessed with good karma in my book. Otherwise what is the point and how will it move you?



From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.


----- Reply message -----
From: "Computer Controlled" <[hidden email]>
To: "Greg Morgan" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "David Bulog" <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [AH] Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot
Date: Wed, Nov 28, 2012 4:39 pm


He already did that with his shitty x0xb0xes.  And refusing to acknowledge
LadyAda in his auctions.


On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you think about it, is Cy giving the big ol' middle finger to the
> xoxbox community?
>
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM, David Bulog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Technology Transplant had a really really  bad reputation for their xoxox
>> box but its not impossible to turn things around
>> My only concern would be main board servicing
>>
>>
>> --- On *Thu, 29/11/12, Computer Controlled <[hidden email]>* wrote:
>>
>>
>> From: Computer Controlled <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Subject: Re: [AH] Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot
>> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>> Date: Thursday, 29, November, 2012, 9:25 AM
>>
>>
>> So, i just read that these are made by Technology Transplant.  Anyone
>> know if this is true?  If so, that changes things a bit.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Mike Perkowitz <[hidden email]<http://nz.mc960.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mike@...>

>> > wrote:
>>
>>
>> it will look nice next to my x0xb0x in the spot where a 303 used to be ;)
>>
>> I'm going to try it out. once I (hopefully) get my x0xb0x working again,
>> it will be fun to compare them and then decide which to keep or to keep
>> both! I do enjoy the x0xb0x but I sometimes miss the semi-random
>> composition process enforced by the 303's sequencer. we'll see if using
>> that approach again turns out to be fun or frustrating.
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Steven Clements <[hidden email]<http://nz.mc960.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sdclements@...>
>> > wrote:
>>
>> I want one... where can I buy one in Canada?
>>
>> Or who is distributes for Canada?
>>
>> this will look nice beside the real deal
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Joe <[hidden email]<http://nz.mc960.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=kaysjos@...>

>> > wrote:
>>
>>
>> Wow, in many ways this is amazing, but i'm not buying one until i hear
>> first hand reports on the sound quality and build quality.
>>
>> Also if they are using some new parts is this expected to fail in a few
>> years like most modern electronics, or are the new parts robust enough that
>> they will last for decades like the original?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant

rrooyyccee@yahoo.com
In reply to this post by Robin Whittle
That was a really interesting message and story in its own right. Cyberpunk Dead Ringers.
And anybody that is a friend of the 606 is friends with me!

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Robin Whittle" <[hidden email]>
To: "Analogue Heaven" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "Doug Terrebonne" <[hidden email]>, "Technology Transplant" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [AH] Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant
Date: Wed, Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm


Short version:  Cy and Technology Transplant are not one and the same.

               The offensive website of Jan 2010 was not necessarily
               the work of Cy, though he did have a dispute with
               AdaFruit Industries.

               Cyclone Analogic is Cy and some other people, not
               necessarily all those who were involved in Technology
               Transplant.

               I believe it is unlikely that a machine as well designed
               and made as the TT-303 would result from the efforts of
               an antisocial character.

I have been corresponding with Cy since September 2004, via
[hidden email] and before that
[hidden email] (which was the email address of
the founder of this business in the USA, who is no longer involved).
The person who normally responds to this email address is a thoughtful
fellow who is passionate about producing synthesizers.  His English is
at times idiosyncratic - but I find his messages frequently rich and
engaging.

In the course of this correspondence I have also got one or two messages
from a totally different character (this was some years ago) who was
beyond unpleasant.  This person was hateful, demeaning and antisocial -
and made it clear that he was not Cy, but was using the account.  I
don't know his name.

It is my understanding that Technology Transplant was not just Cy.  He
has assured me that the new company - Cyclone Analogic - does not
involve the antisocial character who was involved in the dispute
mentioned below.  He told me that it involves different investors than
Technology Transplant did.

The Cyclone Analogic domain names have a different registrant (via
Goddaddy's whois):

analogic, cyclone [hidden email]
Cyclone Analogic Ltd.
17 MaiTak Industrial Bldg.
#855 F1  Hong Kong, Kowloon 00000
Hong Kong +852.60616787

from the registrant of technologytransplant.com, which in early 2011 (I
recall) was registered by the same person who registered the domain
adafruitindustries.com at which grossly offensive material was hosted
for a week or less (as I recall) in January 2011.  The thread concerning
that ugly dispute is
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=XXXX18854 (remove the
XXXX and also see thread 19010).  That registrant at that time is listed
in the thread - "Mr. He ZhiYa".

The nameservers for "adafruitindustries.com" are now those of
ladyada.net and I guess they have been so since the current registration
period started on 2011-09-20.

There was and I guess still is a dispute between Cy and the AdaFruit
people.  He was accused of not properly acknowledging AdaFruitIndustries
in eBay listings for x0xb0x kits.  I understand he fixed this problem
and was miffed that many people advertised x0xb0x kits on eBay without
proper acknowledgement, and without apparent protests from AdaFruit
Industries.  I think the dispute has deeper roots than this.


I have only communicated with Cy by email.  I don't know anyone who has
met or spoken with him.  I can't prove he was not directly responsible
for the offensive website and threatening email.  That seems out of
character for the person I know as Cy, but not for the antisocial
character who was part of Technology Transplant some years ago - and may
still be a part of it today.

Cy tends not to write to mailing lists such as this.  So accusations
such as: Doug Terrebonne's:

> . . . This is the guy that tried to blackmail LadyAda. . . .

might go unchallenged unless someone like me does so.

I have a vested interest in the success of the TT-303 since it will lead
to an expansion in the Devil Fish modification work.   Irrespective of
this, I think it is an excellent project - a grand folly made real and
affordable enough to be bought by thousands of people.  There's no
reason why people should accept my views on the character of Cy and
whoever else is involved in Cyclone Analogic.  However, anyone can
correspond with Cy and make their own judgements.


I think the TT-303 is a far better product than would result from the
efforts of an anti-social character.  It would be possible to sell
plenty of crappier machines, and to get a crappier machine to market a
year or so before the current introduction date.  They could have sold
plenty of them with silver-painted knobs and buttons, but instead the
knobs and buttons are chrome plated.  They could have used a plain three
pin socket for Audio Out, but they use a 9 pin stereo dual SPDT switch
socket, because it has more pins and therefore is anchored better to the
PCB.  They could have sold plenty of machines with a simpler sequencer
function and red LEDs.  Instead it has an elaborate sequencer with full
color range RGB LEDs.  They could have sold it with a lousy manual, but
the manual is the product of a great deal of care.

On the PCBs is the text: "Designed in the USA for Cyclone Analogic by
Rezonance Labs and Technology Transplant".  I guess that the schematic,
PCB and firmware design - and probably the user manual - are the product
of "Rezonance Labs" in the USA.  I think this is all good work.

The impetus for this project clearly comes from Cy in China.  A Drum
Drone TT-606 is next.  Cy, his colleagues and investors are now
producing a well-designed, well-made, instrument which I am sure will
sell like hot-cakes.

They have the resources and the arguably crazy inclination to get big
injection-molding dies made in order to create at knob, button, case,
transistor, resistor and capacitor level a faithful but in other ways
enhanced reproduction of a 30 year old analogue synthesizer.  It is
difficult for me to believe this is the work of whoever created the
offensive website.

As an aside, someone wrote to me about the business name.  I hadn't
realised, but it can be seen as Cy-Clone . . .

 - Robin   http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Korg DSS1 Memory chips

David Bulog
In reply to this post by Robin Whittle
Anyone have any memory chips for the DSS1 2 out of the 12 ram chips are dead
thanks in advance
David
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant

David Messenger-2
In reply to this post by Robin Whittle
Excellent job of clarification, from a more than stellar source.

Thanks, Robin


D.

On 11/28/2012 7:25 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:
> Short version:  Cy and Technology Transplant are not one and the same.
>
>                  The offensive website of Jan 2010 was not necessarily
>                

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant

Greg Morgan-4
In reply to this post by Robin Whittle
Thanks for this.

My dealings with Cy were always above board, though after I bought
something there would be radio silence then the package would just
appear one day a week or three later.

I was surprised by the adafruit drama. It doesn't really add up. Your
email  adds a little clarification to the matter.

I remain hopeful...

Greg

On Nov 28, 2012, at 7:25 PM, Robin Whittle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Short version:  Cy and Technology Transplant are not one and the same.
>
>                The offensive website of Jan 2010 was not necessarily
>                the work of Cy, though he did have a dispute with
>                AdaFruit Industries.
>
>                Cyclone Analogic is Cy and some other people, not
>                necessarily all those who were involved in Technology
>                Transplant.
>
>                I believe it is unlikely that a machine as well designed
>                and made as the TT-303 would result from the efforts of
>                an antisocial character.
>
> I have been corresponding with Cy since September 2004, via
> [hidden email] and before that
> [hidden email] (which was the email address of
> the founder of this business in the USA, who is no longer involved).
> The person who normally responds to this email address is a thoughtful
> fellow who is passionate about producing synthesizers.  His English is
> at times idiosyncratic - but I find his messages frequently rich and
> engaging.
>
> In the course of this correspondence I have also got one or two messages
> from a totally different character (this was some years ago) who was
> beyond unpleasant.  This person was hateful, demeaning and antisocial -
> and made it clear that he was not Cy, but was using the account.  I
> don't know his name.
>
> It is my understanding that Technology Transplant was not just Cy.  He
> has assured me that the new company - Cyclone Analogic - does not
> involve the antisocial character who was involved in the dispute
> mentioned below.  He told me that it involves different investors than
> Technology Transplant did.
>
> The Cyclone Analogic domain names have a different registrant (via
> Goddaddy's whois):
>
> analogic, cyclone [hidden email]
> Cyclone Analogic Ltd.
> 17 MaiTak Industrial Bldg.
> #855 F1  Hong Kong, Kowloon 00000
> Hong Kong +852.60616787
>
> from the registrant of technologytransplant.com, which in early 2011 (I
> recall) was registered by the same person who registered the domain
> adafruitindustries.com at which grossly offensive material was hosted
> for a week or less (as I recall) in January 2011.  The thread concerning
> that ugly dispute is
> http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=XXXX18854 (remove the
> XXXX and also see thread 19010).  That registrant at that time is listed
> in the thread - "Mr. He ZhiYa".
>
> The nameservers for "adafruitindustries.com" are now those of
> ladyada.net and I guess they have been so since the current registration
> period started on 2011-09-20.
>
> There was and I guess still is a dispute between Cy and the AdaFruit
> people.  He was accused of not properly acknowledging AdaFruitIndustries
> in eBay listings for x0xb0x kits.  I understand he fixed this problem
> and was miffed that many people advertised x0xb0x kits on eBay without
> proper acknowledgement, and without apparent protests from AdaFruit
> Industries.  I think the dispute has deeper roots than this.
>
>
> I have only communicated with Cy by email.  I don't know anyone who has
> met or spoken with him.  I can't prove he was not directly responsible
> for the offensive website and threatening email.  That seems out of
> character for the person I know as Cy, but not for the antisocial
> character who was part of Technology Transplant some years ago - and may
> still be a part of it today.
>
> Cy tends not to write to mailing lists such as this.  So accusations
> such as: Doug Terrebonne's:
>
>> . . . This is the guy that tried to blackmail LadyAda. . . .
>
> might go unchallenged unless someone like me does so.
>
> I have a vested interest in the success of the TT-303 since it will lead
> to an expansion in the Devil Fish modification work.   Irrespective of
> this, I think it is an excellent project - a grand folly made real and
> affordable enough to be bought by thousands of people.  There's no
> reason why people should accept my views on the character of Cy and
> whoever else is involved in Cyclone Analogic.  However, anyone can
> correspond with Cy and make their own judgements.
>
>
> I think the TT-303 is a far better product than would result from the
> efforts of an anti-social character.  It would be possible to sell
> plenty of crappier machines, and to get a crappier machine to market a
> year or so before the current introduction date.  They could have sold
> plenty of them with silver-painted knobs and buttons, but instead the
> knobs and buttons are chrome plated.  They could have used a plain three
> pin socket for Audio Out, but they use a 9 pin stereo dual SPDT switch
> socket, because it has more pins and therefore is anchored better to the
> PCB.  They could have sold plenty of machines with a simpler sequencer
> function and red LEDs.  Instead it has an elaborate sequencer with full
> color range RGB LEDs.  They could have sold it with a lousy manual, but
> the manual is the product of a great deal of care.
>
> On the PCBs is the text: "Designed in the USA for Cyclone Analogic by
> Rezonance Labs and Technology Transplant".  I guess that the schematic,
> PCB and firmware design - and probably the user manual - are the product
> of "Rezonance Labs" in the USA.  I think this is all good work.
>
> The impetus for this project clearly comes from Cy in China.  A Drum
> Drone TT-606 is next.  Cy, his colleagues and investors are now
> producing a well-designed, well-made, instrument which I am sure will
> sell like hot-cakes.
>
> They have the resources and the arguably crazy inclination to get big
> injection-molding dies made in order to create at knob, button, case,
> transistor, resistor and capacitor level a faithful but in other ways
> enhanced reproduction of a 30 year old analogue synthesizer.  It is
> difficult for me to believe this is the work of whoever created the
> offensive website.
>
> As an aside, someone wrote to me about the business name.  I hadn't
> realised, but it can be seen as Cy-Clone . . .
>
>  - Robin   http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Filip Sneppe
In reply to this post by Lorne Hammond
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Lorne Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Features:
.       Monophonic selectable (saw, square) VCO with 24db 4 pole analogue
filter.

I always thought a real 303 had a 18db/3 pole filter due to a butchered 24db design.
If this is indeed a 24db VCF, wouldn't this change the sound character very noticeably ?
Can anyone confirm if they've followed the 303's VCF design closely enough ?

Best regards,
Filip
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

David Bulog
http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode
see 

The 18dB versus 24dB 'dispute'




On 29/11/2012, at 10:05 PM, Filip Sneppe wrote:

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Lorne Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Features:
..       Monophonic selectable (saw, square) VCO with 24db 4 pole analogue
filter.

I always thought a real 303 had a 18db/3 pole filter due to a butchered 24db design.
If this is indeed a 24db VCF, wouldn't this change the sound character very noticeably ?
Can anyone confirm if they've followed the 303's VCF design closely enough ?

Best regards,
Filip

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - filter details

Robin Whittle
In reply to this post by Filip Sneppe
Hi Filip,

I just measured the four capacitors in the TT-303 filter.  The first one
is 0.018uF (micro Farads) and the other three are 0.033uF.  These are
the same values as in the TB-303.

The TT-303 uses transistors for the diode functions - an exact copy of
the TB-303 arrangement.  It doesn't matter what the transistors or
diodes are, since they all have the same (or similar enough) voltage to
current curve at any given temperature.  Diodes would have been
marginally less expensive and would have worked just as well.  Maybe the
choice of transistors over diodes in the TB-303 was to get around some
patents involving actual diodes in the filter.

I haven't traced out the circuit of the TT-303 filter, but these crucial
components look the same as in the TB-303.  There are dual transistors
at the driving and receiving ends too, as in the TB-303 circuit.

As far as I know the filter and the rest of the audio circuitry is the
same as the TB-303.  Other people with more patience then me will
probably do A/B sound comparisons.

Whether or not this is exactly a 24dB per octave filter is something
which could be debated.  The filter probably wouldn't be 24dB per octave
even if all the four capacitors were the same, since these stages, with
their resistor equivalents in the small signal transfer function of the
diodes, are coupled together in a way which means their input and output
impedances are not quite what would be required for them to operate at
6dB per octave.

David Bulog pointed to David Stinchcombe's treatise on diode ladder filters:

  http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode

which links to another page with this new URL:

  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/roland_filters/

You can see the x0xb0x version of the filter at the "snapshot" image from:

  http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/download.html

There are three dual transistors - Q12 to drive the ladder, Q22 to
terminate it and Q21 as a differential amplifier receiving the signal
from the top.  This follows exactly the TB-303 arrangement:


http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TB-303/schematics/roland.TB-303.schem-5.gif

You can think of the capacitors as reasonably heavy wooden rungs on a
rope ladder.  I am up in a tree holding the two ropes at the top, only
interested in the difference in tension between the two ropes, not
caring about the total or average tension.  You are on the ground
differentially wiggling the two ropes at the end with your "VCO" signal,
which contains a bunch of harmonics.  If the VCO signal is positive, you
pull more on the left rope and less on the right.  When it is negative,
you do the opposite.

If you don't place general overall average tension on the ropes, they
are hanging loose and each pair of ropes between one rung and the other
is quite stretchy.  This means they have a "high impedance".  In
electrical terms their resistance or impedance to small AC signals (your
wiggling) is high, meaning not much of the wiggling from one rung can
affect the next rung above.  Since the rungs are made of heavy wood,
they have a fixed inertia.  All that matters to my perception is their
inertia in terms of one end being raised while the other is pulled down
- which is what you are attempting to do with your wiggling.  The wooden
rungs are the exact equivalents of the fixed capacitors in the diode
ladder filter.  After a few sets of slack rope and heavy rungs, with
each stage forming a low-pass filter with a low cut-off frequency, I
either feel none of your "VCO" wiggling, or at most just the very lowest
harmonics.

If you pull down tight on both ropes, while maintaining your wiggling,
this tightens up each section of rope and reduces its impedance to small
changes in tension.  The rope behaves much like a diode or a transistor
with its base and collector connected, as is done in these filters.
(Using chain, steel cable or thick solid nylon would not behave this
way, because their impedance for small changes is much the same, quite
low, no matter how much tension is on them - assuming the chain has at
least some tension.)

Now each stage of the filter has a higher cut-off frequency, since there
is less impedance in the ropes, and so a stronger drive to move each
rung above with your wiggling signal.  I will feel more of your wiggling
signal in general.  In particular I will feel much more of the higher
frequencies, since each stage of the filter now has a higher cut-off
frequency and is not attenuating these higher frequencies as much as
when the rope had little tension on it.

Tim Stinchcombe has some daunting maths concerning this.

Returning to the TB-303, the important thing for me  is not so much
precisely what the frequency response of the filter is, but how the
whole circuit behaves at higher resonances, and in the Devil Fish, how
it behaves with very low currents (very low tension on both ropes)
and/or with very high drive signals.  In the Devil Fish I drive the
filter, in theory, 66.6 times harder than usual, if the Overdrive pot is
fully clockwise.  This would be hard to measure, but it is the
theoretical ratio between the drive resistances of the unmodified TB-303
and the Devil Fish with Overdrive fully clockwise.

These "slack tension" (very low cut-off frequencies) and/or heavy
overdrive characteristics of the diode ladder filter are musically
really fruitful, and are not as accurate or mathematically perfect as a
"properly designed" 4 pole LPF, in which each resistor-capacitor stage
is used in a manner which is unaffected by the frequency varying
impedances of the other stages, by way of op-amps or transistors:

  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/roland_filters/SH1.jpg
  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/roland_filters/JP8.jpg

I would be surprised if the choice of 0.018uF instead of 0.033uF for the
first ring in the TB-303 made a clearly audible difference and I don't
know why this choice was made.  It is equivalent to using a lighter
piece of wood for the first rung of your ladder, which means that in
theory the first stage has a cut-off frequency 0.033 / 0.018 = 1.833
times that of the other stage.

 - Robin     http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant

Steven Clements
In reply to this post by Greg Morgan-4

I bought the replacement switch board for my 606 from Cy and was pleased... with the product and emails.  Then he actually sent me a few parts for my 303 for free - post paid.  I've never had the drama but have only this limited interaction with him/them.

I would love to see some replacement cases for the TB303 out of their shop if all goes well.

Thanks for the note Robin

Steve



On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for this.

My dealings with Cy were always above board, though after I bought
something there would be radio silence then the package would just
appear one day a week or three later.

I was surprised by the adafruit drama. It doesn't really add up. Your
email  adds a little clarification to the matter.

I remain hopeful...

Greg

On Nov 28, 2012, at 7:25 PM, Robin Whittle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Short version:  Cy and Technology Transplant are not one and the same.
>
>                The offensive website of Jan 2010 was not necessarily
>                the work of Cy, though he did have a dispute with
>                AdaFruit Industries.
>
>                Cyclone Analogic is Cy and some other people, not
>                necessarily all those who were involved in Technology
>                Transplant.
>
>                I believe it is unlikely that a machine as well designed
>                and made as the TT-303 would result from the efforts of
>                an antisocial character.
>
> I have been corresponding with Cy since September 2004, via
> [hidden email] and before that
> [hidden email] (which was the email address of
> the founder of this business in the USA, who is no longer involved).
> The person who normally responds to this email address is a thoughtful
> fellow who is passionate about producing synthesizers.  His English is
> at times idiosyncratic - but I find his messages frequently rich and
> engaging.
>
> In the course of this correspondence I have also got one or two messages
> from a totally different character (this was some years ago) who was
> beyond unpleasant.  This person was hateful, demeaning and antisocial -
> and made it clear that he was not Cy, but was using the account.  I
> don't know his name.
>
> It is my understanding that Technology Transplant was not just Cy.  He
> has assured me that the new company - Cyclone Analogic - does not
> involve the antisocial character who was involved in the dispute
> mentioned below.  He told me that it involves different investors than
> Technology Transplant did.
>
> The Cyclone Analogic domain names have a different registrant (via
> Goddaddy's whois):
>
> analogic, cyclone [hidden email]
> Cyclone Analogic Ltd.
> 17 MaiTak Industrial Bldg.
> #855 F1  Hong Kong, Kowloon 00000
> Hong Kong <a href="tel:%2B852.60616787" value="+85260616787">+852.60616787
>
> from the registrant of technologytransplant.com, which in early 2011 (I
> recall) was registered by the same person who registered the domain
> adafruitindustries.com at which grossly offensive material was hosted
> for a week or less (as I recall) in January 2011.  The thread concerning
> that ugly dispute is
> http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=XXXX18854 (remove the
> XXXX and also see thread 19010).  That registrant at that time is listed
> in the thread - "Mr. He ZhiYa".
>
> The nameservers for "adafruitindustries.com" are now those of
> ladyada.net and I guess they have been so since the current registration
> period started on 2011-09-20.
>
> There was and I guess still is a dispute between Cy and the AdaFruit
> people.  He was accused of not properly acknowledging AdaFruitIndustries
> in eBay listings for x0xb0x kits.  I understand he fixed this problem
> and was miffed that many people advertised x0xb0x kits on eBay without
> proper acknowledgement, and without apparent protests from AdaFruit
> Industries.  I think the dispute has deeper roots than this.
>
>
> I have only communicated with Cy by email.  I don't know anyone who has
> met or spoken with him.  I can't prove he was not directly responsible
> for the offensive website and threatening email.  That seems out of
> character for the person I know as Cy, but not for the antisocial
> character who was part of Technology Transplant some years ago - and may
> still be a part of it today.
>
> Cy tends not to write to mailing lists such as this.  So accusations
> such as: Doug Terrebonne's:
>
>> . . . This is the guy that tried to blackmail LadyAda. . . .
>
> might go unchallenged unless someone like me does so.
>
> I have a vested interest in the success of the TT-303 since it will lead
> to an expansion in the Devil Fish modification work.   Irrespective of
> this, I think it is an excellent project - a grand folly made real and
> affordable enough to be bought by thousands of people.  There's no
> reason why people should accept my views on the character of Cy and
> whoever else is involved in Cyclone Analogic.  However, anyone can
> correspond with Cy and make their own judgements.
>
>
> I think the TT-303 is a far better product than would result from the
> efforts of an anti-social character.  It would be possible to sell
> plenty of crappier machines, and to get a crappier machine to market a
> year or so before the current introduction date.  They could have sold
> plenty of them with silver-painted knobs and buttons, but instead the
> knobs and buttons are chrome plated.  They could have used a plain three
> pin socket for Audio Out, but they use a 9 pin stereo dual SPDT switch
> socket, because it has more pins and therefore is anchored better to the
> PCB.  They could have sold plenty of machines with a simpler sequencer
> function and red LEDs.  Instead it has an elaborate sequencer with full
> color range RGB LEDs.  They could have sold it with a lousy manual, but
> the manual is the product of a great deal of care.
>
> On the PCBs is the text: "Designed in the USA for Cyclone Analogic by
> Rezonance Labs and Technology Transplant".  I guess that the schematic,
> PCB and firmware design - and probably the user manual - are the product
> of "Rezonance Labs" in the USA.  I think this is all good work.
>
> The impetus for this project clearly comes from Cy in China.  A Drum
> Drone TT-606 is next.  Cy, his colleagues and investors are now
> producing a well-designed, well-made, instrument which I am sure will
> sell like hot-cakes.
>
> They have the resources and the arguably crazy inclination to get big
> injection-molding dies made in order to create at knob, button, case,
> transistor, resistor and capacitor level a faithful but in other ways
> enhanced reproduction of a 30 year old analogue synthesizer.  It is
> difficult for me to believe this is the work of whoever created the
> offensive website.
>
> As an aside, someone wrote to me about the business name.  I hadn't
> realised, but it can be seen as Cy-Clone . . .
>
>  - Robin   http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant

Steven Clements
Best of luck this new venture Cy

Cheers
Steve

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 6:17 AM, chipforbrains <[hidden email]> wrote:
Steven et al,

Obviously I'm quite busy with a product launch and will take the time to point this out to you as a previous customer Mr. Clements.
However, I'm unclear as stated what Mr. Terrebone has ever purchased and quite interested actually in what the problem
with the bad parts was I do not personally recall without such substantiation.  But with 10s of thousands of clients over a decade, perhaps I didn't remember that one!

With that said I will put this quite simply and thus one reason for business restructering over the years.
I no longer run, own or work for T.T.
I have no employment by RezLabs
But I do spot needs and do spot talents.
I do partially have interest in cyclone which should be painfully obvious. But my personal investments and any business structures are hardly that of anyone for any company not publicly listed.

Let me say this as I do to most people.
After years of spending tons of money to make parts molds.  And providing this bit and that.  The underlying parts is and will be the components involved more and more so into the future.
IC and most transistors:

TT is sold out.
I am sold out.
Synthech is sold out.
Roland is sold out (and sources from TT to preserve the machines as a matter of factly).
Of all old ICs etc. gone vanished and now left for Chinese who couldn't give a hoot or know what it is.
To pawn on ebay free of any problems because ebay and paypal KNOW they can't be sued in China.

But the point is.
That replacing a knob as available today.  Provides very little capital for anything else business wise.
And is rather equivalent of going to say get a face-lift, for a cardiac arrest in the consumer's respect. It's isn't going to last long.

And unless the 'bigger picture' was accomplished as with the transistor twins release.

Only a few elite old guys holding on to them preciously so as not to break.  Ever have the pleasure of using something remotely
similar.

Point blank.  A new knob doesn't help blown cpus, memories transistors and so and so forth or more commonly, cracking pcb failures.

Possibly, the approach isn't the best.  But what was planned almost a decade and many years of establishing relationships,
testing product, and testing quality over this time.  Went into making this the most structurally competitive product on the market for such
a guitar synth emulator.  And I am very hopeful, at the fair price offered for such a product, will offer the world a means of producing
music with instruments that were always rather limited in supply chains.

And hopefully, this will all in my most sincere efforts.  Bring back the promise, joy and prosperity a whole generational 'sense' experienced as a result of the 303 in the 90s.  To all those these days most find so lacking in society.
This is a product of many people work.  Please don't think something as this could be done by one singular individual who had absolutely nothing better to do in a world-wide recession than spend all the r&d for this required.

So no, this isn't 'some x0xb0x' in a new case sir.  I would never put my name on it.
Never did.
TT never sold them.  Nor the bass bots as h.w. manufacturing experts in the area.
In fact, LadyAda didn't even want her name on it quite obviously.  Go figure that now?

Sincerely, cy



From: Steven Clements <[hidden email]>
To: Greg Morgan <[hidden email]>
Cc: Robin Whittle <[hidden email]>; Analogue Heaven <[hidden email]>; Doug Terrebonne <[hidden email]>; Technology Transplant <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [AH] Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot - Technology Transplant


I bought the replacement switch board for my 606 from Cy and was pleased... with the product and emails.  Then he actually sent me a few parts for my 303 for free - post paid.  I've never had the drama but have only this limited interaction with him/them.

I would love to see some replacement cases for the TB303 out of their shop if all goes well.

Thanks for the note Robin

Steve



On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Greg Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for this.

My dealings with Cy were always above board, though after I bought
something there would be radio silence then the package would just
appear one day a week or three later.

I was surprised by the adafruit drama. It doesn't really add up. Your
email  adds a little clarification to the matter.

I remain hopeful...

Greg

On Nov 28, 2012, at 7:25 PM, Robin Whittle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Short version:  Cy and Technology Transplant are not one and the same.
>
>                The offensive website of Jan 2010 was not necessarily
>                the work of Cy, though he did have a dispute with
>                AdaFruit Industries.
>
>                Cyclone Analogic is Cy and some other people, not
>                necessarily all those who were involved in Technology
>                Transplant.
>
>                I believe it is unlikely that a machine as well designed
>                and made as the TT-303 would result from the efforts of
>                an antisocial character.
>
> I have been corresponding with Cy since September 2004, via
> [hidden email] and before that
> [hidden email] (which was the email address of
> the founder of this business in the USA, who is no longer involved).
> The person who normally responds to this email address is a thoughtful
> fellow who is passionate about producing synthesizers.  His English is
> at times idiosyncratic - but I find his messages frequently rich and
> engaging.
>
> In the course of this correspondence I have also got one or two messages
> from a totally different character (this was some years ago) who was
> beyond unpleasant.  This person was hateful, demeaning and antisocial -
> and made it clear that he was not Cy, but was using the account.  I
> don't know his name.
>
> It is my understanding that Technology Transplant was not just Cy.  He
> has assured me that the new company - Cyclone Analogic - does not
> involve the antisocial character who was involved in the dispute
> mentioned below.  He told me that it involves different investors than
> Technology Transplant did.
>
> The Cyclone Analogic domain names have a different registrant (via
> Goddaddy's whois):
>
> analogic, cyclone [hidden email]
> Cyclone Analogic Ltd.
> 17 MaiTak Industrial Bldg.
> #855 F1  Hong Kong, Kowloon 00000
> Hong Kong +852.60616787
>
> from the registrant of technologytransplant.com, which in early 2011 (I
> recall) was registered by the same person who registered the domain
> adafruitindustries.com at which grossly offensive material was hosted
> for a week or less (as I recall) in January 2011.  The thread concerning
> that ugly dispute is
> http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=XXXX18854 (remove the
> XXXX and also see thread 19010).  That registrant at that time is listed
> in the thread - "Mr. He ZhiYa".
>
> The nameservers for "adafruitindustries.com" are now those of
> ladyada.net and I guess they have been so since the current registration
> period started on 2011-09-20.
>
> There was and I guess still is a dispute between Cy and the AdaFruit
> people.  He was accused of not properly acknowledging AdaFruitIndustries
> in eBay listings for x0xb0x kits.  I understand he fixed this problem
> and was miffed that many people advertised x0xb0x kits on eBay without
> proper acknowledgement, and without apparent protests from AdaFruit
> Industries.  I think the dispute has deeper roots than this.
>
>
> I have only communicated with Cy by email.  I don't know anyone who has
> met or spoken with him.  I can't prove he was not directly responsible
> for the offensive website and threatening email.  That seems out of
> character for the person I know as Cy, but not for the antisocial
> character who was part of Technology Transplant some years ago - and may
> still be a part of it today.
>
> Cy tends not to write to mailing lists such as this.  So accusations
> such as: Doug Terrebonne's:
>
>> . . . This is the guy that tried to blackmail LadyAda. . . .
>
> might go unchallenged unless someone like me does so.
>
> I have a vested interest in the success of the TT-303 since it will lead
> to an expansion in the Devil Fish modification work.   Irrespective of
> this, I think it is an excellent project - a grand folly made real and
> affordable enough to be bought by thousands of people.  There's no
> reason why people should accept my views on the character of Cy and
> whoever else is involved in Cyclone Analogic.  However, anyone can
> correspond with Cy and make their own judgements.
>
>
> I think the TT-303 is a far better product than would result from the
> efforts of an anti-social character.  It would be possible to sell
> plenty of crappier machines, and to get a crappier machine to market a
> year or so before the current introduction date.  They could have sold
> plenty of them with silver-painted knobs and buttons, but instead the
> knobs and buttons are chrome plated.  They could have used a plain three
> pin socket for Audio Out, but they use a 9 pin stereo dual SPDT switch
> socket, because it has more pins and therefore is anchored better to the
> PCB.  They could have sold plenty of machines with a simpler sequencer
> function and red LEDs.  Instead it has an elaborate sequencer with full
> color range RGB LEDs.  They could have sold it with a lousy manual, but
> the manual is the product of a great deal of care.
>
> On the PCBs is the text: "Designed in the USA for Cyclone Analogic by
> Rezonance Labs and Technology Transplant".  I guess that the schematic,
> PCB and firmware design - and probably the user manual - are the product
> of "Rezonance Labs" in the USA.  I think this is all good work.
>
> The impetus for this project clearly comes from Cy in China.  A Drum
> Drone TT-606 is next.  Cy, his colleagues and investors are now
> producing a well-designed, well-made, instrument which I am sure will
> sell like hot-cakes.
>
> They have the resources and the arguably crazy inclination to get big
> injection-molding dies made in order to create at knob, button, case,
> transistor, resistor and capacitor level a faithful but in other ways
> enhanced reproduction of a 30 year old analogue synthesizer.  It is
> difficult for me to believe this is the work of whoever created the
> offensive website.
>
> As an aside, someone wrote to me about the business name.  I hadn't
> realised, but it can be seen as Cy-Clone . . .
>
>  - Robin   http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/dfish/TT-303/
>




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Suit & Tie Guy
In reply to this post by David Bulog
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.
---
Suit & Tie Guy
suitandtieguy.com
stgsoundlabs.com


Sent from my LG Touchpoint 1100

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

holografique
lol...my first duplo 303...


On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Suit & Tie Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.
---
Suit & Tie Guy
suitandtieguy.com
stgsoundlabs.com


Sent from my LG Touchpoint 1100


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Steven Clements

Then I could take my glasses off!


On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Omar <[hidden email]> wrote:
lol...my first duplo 303...


On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Suit & Tie Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.
---
Suit & Tie Guy
suitandtieguy.com
stgsoundlabs.com


Sent from my LG Touchpoint 1100



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Mike Perkowitz
Administrator
In reply to this post by Suit & Tie Guy

this is actually a great idea, though maybe at about 150%. someone should make a x0xb0x enclosure like this.


On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Suit & Tie Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.
---
Suit & Tie Guy
suitandtieguy.com
stgsoundlabs.com


Sent from my LG Touchpoint 1100


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Xavier Cardil
+100 S&TG


On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:48 PM, Mike Perkowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

this is actually a great idea, though maybe at about 150%. someone should make a x0xb0x enclosure like this.



On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Suit & Tie Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.
---
Suit & Tie Guy
suitandtieguy.com
stgsoundlabs.com


Sent from my LG Touchpoint 1100



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

rsdio-2
In reply to this post by Mike Perkowitz
Looks like the pots mount to the PCB in the x0xb0x, so how would you  
make an oversized version without making a new PCB?

(yes, I know you could solder wires to the surface mount pads and run  
them to an oversized panel with regular pots, but it would be a  
little awkward)

Brian

On Nov 29, 2012, at 13:48, Mike Perkowitz wrote:
> this is actually a great idea, though maybe at about 150%. someone  
> should make a x0xb0x enclosure like this.
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Suit & Tie Guy  
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made  
>> at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Jason Proctor
awkward! pah! this kind of stuff is stock-in-trade to anyone traversing formats in the modular world :-)

fwiw, i built my x0x and i don't really think it sounds like a 303. but put it in a big silver box and it might...




On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks like the pots mount to the PCB in the x0xb0x, so how would you make an oversized version without making a new PCB?

(yes, I know you could solder wires to the surface mount pads and run them to an oversized panel with regular pots, but it would be a little awkward)

Brian


On Nov 29, 2012, at 13:48, Mike Perkowitz wrote:
this is actually a great idea, though maybe at about 150%. someone should make a x0xb0x enclosure like this.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Suit & Tie Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:
just to really mess with people, i wish this thing had been made at 200 percent scale so it was larger than a TR-909.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

Sam Mims
In reply to this post by Computer Controlled

We should have our first shipment of TT-303's on Thursday (12/6).  We sold out our first order quickly, so we doubled it, and now we're almost sold out again.  Just lettin' folks know that they might want to order soon.


Sam Mims
Syntaur
www.syntaur.com


 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot

db-22
In reply to this post by Sam Mims


So if you are using a DAW with internal sounds that has 5ms of latency,
then the TT303 sound will happen in time with MIDI clock, about 5ms before
the DAW.

That sounds like trouble.



At 11/28/2012 09:44 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

>Just thought I'd share a response to an off-list question:  The Bass Bot
>automatically syncs its sequencer to incoming MIDI clock.
>
>
>Sam Mims
>Syntaur
>www.syntaur.com
>
>
>
>
>On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 09:00:04 -0800, Glenn Gregory <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>In the US the wholesaler can't set the retail price but can enforce
>>minimum advertised pricing agreements.
>>
>>Sent from my Windows Phone
>>
>>----------
>>Analogue Heaven
>>Definitely illegal in the EU:
>>
>><http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html>http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/overview_en.html
>>"agreements between two or more independent market operators which
>>restrict competition are prohibited by Article 101 of the Treaty. This
>>provision covers both horizontal agreements (between actual or
>>potential competitors operating at the same level of the supply chain)
>>and vertical agreements (between firms operating at different levels,
>>i.e. agreement between a manufacturer and its distributor)."
>>
>>-S
>>
>>On 28 November 2012 17:42, Oakley Sound <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> I just heard from Cyclone Analogics that all distributors of the Bass Bot
>> >> must sell at the list price.
>> >
>> > I thought that this was illegal in the UK and the EU. Isn't it against
>> > anti-competition laws?
>> >
>> > I'd be happy to proved wrong in this instance.
>> >
>> > Tony
>> >
>> > <http://www.oakleysound.com/>www.oakleysound.com
>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x


Dennis [Los Angeles]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

A4 or TT-303 Bass Bot help me decide

David Bulog
Help m decide which one to buy
cannot afford both--both look great
TT-303  looks amazing but the sound has not been validated against a real TB-303 by a senior member on this list
A4 is also created a similar buzz --I can get 16% off list for A4 and no discount on TT-303 due to price restriction  in the USA that leaves a price diff of $249 between the two

thanks in advance
David
1234
Loading...