DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts

DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts

davidbivins
Hi all,

I replaced the aged, faded, yellow inserts on the start/stop/note/rest buttons on two DR-55s. I basically found a good photo of a DR-55 online, sampled the color of the logo/name, scanned the existing inserts, replaced the yellow with the orange, and reprinted them on cheap paper. The originals are on a shinier stock (more like a thin magazine stock), but these look fine for what they are. I'll keep the original inserts for the next owner, but it's nice to see these as they were meant to be. I'm going to do the same for my TR-808 soon.

I also replaced the two button switches with DS-1 switches from Small Bear after reading this MW thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63890&sid=4015c6b90044c4d5d3b41e84cf42249a; I replaced several knobs with replacements from Sam at Syntaur; and Sam kindly sent some sheets of material that I used to create new dust covers for the switches in the middle of the unit (thanks, Sam!); and finally I replaced a broken AA battery holder with a new one, which is frankly a tiny bit too big. You need to pry it out of the chamber, but it's also a lot sturdier than the original.

I was very happy to finally finish this one. I love these drum machines!

Here are a few photos of the finished job:

David

Re: DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts

Kenny Balys-2

Looks nice.

So do you mean you replaced the computer buttons on the DR-55?

With this?

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/smk-oem-for-boss/

On 14.05.17 24:58 , David Bivins wrote:
<SNIP>

> I also replaced the two button switches with DS-1 switches from Small
> Bear after reading this MW thread:
> https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63890&sid=4015c6b90044c4d5d3b41e84cf42249a;
> I replaced several knobs with replacements from Sam at Syntaur; and Sam
> kindly sent some sheets of material that I used to create new dust
> covers for the switches in the middle of the unit (thanks, Sam!); and
> finally I replaced a broken AA battery holder with a new one, which is
> frankly a tiny bit too big. You need to pry it out of the chamber, but
> it's also a lot sturdier than the original.
>
> I was very happy to finally finish this one. I love these drum machines!
>
> Here are a few photos of the finished job:
> http://imgur.com/a/4gsFE
>
> David

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/smk-oem-for-boss/

Re: DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts

Kenny Balys-2

Ok thats really cool to know.

Thanks for the tip :)

On 14.05.17 01:43 , David Bivins wrote:

> Yes. It's not a perfect match. The pins are on the left side (looking
> down on the component side of the board) and there are only two (the
> originals have four). You have to bridge on the other side of the PCB
> between the lugs and the other solder pads (side-to-side). Also, the
> pins don't line up with the original holes, so I bent down the bottom
> one and used a bit of wire to bridge between that lug and the other
> solder pad. Finally, they sit a little bit higher than the originals.
> Because they're only soldered through the hole in one position, they're
> not as solid as the originals, but they totally work. I was impressed
> with what a relatively easy fix it was to "wake up" a dodgy DR-55.
>
> On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Kenny Balys <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Looks nice.
>
>     So do you mean you replaced the computer buttons on the DR-55?
>
>     With this?
>
>     http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/smk-oem-for-boss/
>     <http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/smk-oem-for-boss/>

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/smk-oem-for-boss/

Re: DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts

davidbivins
Here is a link to a PDF of the images I created. More inserts than anyone will ever need, ever.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9egNdGuoholRzY2ZlQ4NFRvT0k

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 1:02 PM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It's already documented http://www.firstpr.com.au/rwi/tr-808/TR-808-switches/TR-808-tap-switch-03.jpg

Although I don't use a dremel, the end caps will snap pretty easy with enough plastic to remelt on assembly. He wrapped it with additional wire but it's not always necessary.

Ramiro

www.Sdmachines.com

TR-808 repair (Re: [AH] DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts)

Brian Willoughby
Thanks, David.

In the same spirit of sharing repair work, here are more START/STOP inserts than anyone will ever need for the TR-808.

http://www.audiobanshee.com/repairs/TR-808_START-STOP.pdf

I printed on white paper, cut to size, and then inserted between the yellowed translucent cover and the off-white button base.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 14, 2017, at 10:11 AM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a link to a PDF of the images I created. More inserts than anyone will ever need, ever.
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9egNdGuoholRzY2ZlQ4NFRvT0k

Re: TR-808 repair (Re: [AH] DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts)

davidbivins
Thank you! That was to be my next project (which I actually started a while ago but didn't complete). So you decided not to go with orange?

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, David.

In the same spirit of sharing repair work, here are more START/STOP inserts than anyone will ever need for the TR-808.

http://www.audiobanshee.com/repairs/TR-808_START-STOP.pdf

I printed on white paper, cut to size, and then inserted between the yellowed translucent cover and the off-white button base.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 14, 2017, at 10:11 AM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a link to a PDF of the images I created. More inserts than anyone will ever need, ever.
>
> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9egNdGuoholRzY2ZlQ4NFRvT0k

Re: TR-808 repair (Re: [AH] DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts)

Brian Willoughby
All of the photos I could find are very, very, yellow. Not a hint of orange. The two TR-808 units that I repaired also looked yellow, although it's difficult to tell how much of that is due to fading over the decades. With the color of the translucent covers being yellow, I didn't see any need to add a different color. The repaired units look just like the photos.

Where have you seen an orange START / STOP button?

Brian

On May 15, 2017, at 5:59 PM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you! That was to be my next project (which I actually started a while ago but didn't complete). So you decided not to go with orange?
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, David.
>>
>> In the same spirit of sharing repair work, here are more START/STOP inserts than anyone will ever need for the TR-808.
>>
>> http://www.audiobanshee.com/repairs/TR-808_START-STOP.pdf
>>
>> I printed on white paper, cut to size, and then inserted between the yellowed translucent cover and the off-white button base.
>>
>> Brian Willoughby
>> Sound Consulting
>>

>> On May 14, 2017, at 10:11 AM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here is a link to a PDF of the images I created. More inserts than anyone will ever need, ever.
>> >
>> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9egNdGuoholRzY2ZlQ4NFRvT0k

Re: TR-808 repair (Re: [AH] DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts)

davidbivins
Like the DR-55, I believe the original color was to match the logo, and, on the 808, the first four tact switches. See this photo: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bf/f6/1d/bff61dc5f9d05210a164d794287abe1b.jpg

I have no proof, because I was a teenager when it came out, but I feel confident that they have all faded due to the paper stock on which they were printed.

Here's a photo of a DR-55 that I based my buttons on: https://synthnerd.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/dr55-for-blog-hd-size.jpg

I've had two 808s and 3-4 DR-55s, and they all had yellow buttons, so I too have seen what you've seen. But I'm convinced they were orange originally.

Finally, check out this gem, a video advertisement for the 808: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xI5oH6Avl4

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
All of the photos I could find are very, very, yellow. Not a hint of orange. The two TR-808 units that I repaired also looked yellow, although it's difficult to tell how much of that is due to fading over the decades. With the color of the translucent covers being yellow, I didn't see any need to add a different color. The repaired units look just like the photos.

Where have you seen an orange START / STOP button?

Brian

On May 15, 2017, at 5:59 PM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you! That was to be my next project (which I actually started a while ago but didn't complete). So you decided not to go with orange?
>
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks, David.
>>
>> In the same spirit of sharing repair work, here are more START/STOP inserts than anyone will ever need for the TR-808.
>>
>> http://www.audiobanshee.com/repairs/TR-808_START-STOP.pdf
>>
>> I printed on white paper, cut to size, and then inserted between the yellowed translucent cover and the off-white button base.
>>
>> Brian Willoughby
>> Sound Consulting
>>

>> On May 14, 2017, at 10:11 AM, David Bivins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here is a link to a PDF of the images I created. More inserts than anyone will ever need, ever.
>> >
>> > https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9egNdGuoholRzY2ZlQ4NFRvT0k

Re: TR-808 repair (Re: [AH] DR-55 repair + start stop button inserts)

davidbivins
I was working on a matching pair. I'll try to complete that. I printed orange on an inkjet printer for the DR-55, but I was thinking about going to Paper Source or another specialty paper shop here in NYC to find some orange paper to print on.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 9:22 PM, John Smythe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have a insert for "Tap" as well?

I think some TR-808s had orange inserts. A simple Google photos search for TR-808 will yield some results.

John

Sent from my iPhone