Decard's Dream

123

Decard's Dream

Steven Clements
Anyone jump on the DIY?

Steven

Re: Decard's Dream

Cary Roberts
It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....

-Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Scott Fox
No. It's not a cs80. It's a decards dream and it looks like a pretty awesome machine  :)

Scott

On May 3, 2017 7:06 PM, "Cary Roberts" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....

-Cary

-Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Laurie Curry
I Told the Team I will bite for a pre built once the expander unit is in production...

this is much lighter than Lugging the ol'eighty every where

I have a Poly AT keybed with my SQ80 and The MPE mode gives support to play from the continuum

---- On Wed, 03 May 2017 20:06:01 -0500 Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote ----
It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....

-Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Quincas Moreira
I wish!  Maybe they'll send me a kit to review?  lol

Honestly I'd much preffer this to a CS80. Brand spanking new, portable, MPE, etc...

Quincas Moreira
Test Pilot at VBrazil Modular

Re: Deckard's Dream

Brian Willoughby
Does the CS-80 support MIDI Mode 4? Oh, wait a minute, the CS-80 is older than MIDI by over half a decade. I guess this shows why a modern CS-80 is so much better, even without considering the weight.

Does the Continuum work with MIDI Mode 4?

I know that the Oberheim Matrix-12 and Xpander both support Mode 4, making it possible to have Multi-touch three-dimensional Expression with the Soundplane Model A and Casio MG-510, so I hope that Deckard's Dream supports the same.

Note that the most recent public draft of the MPE specification lists Poly AT as illegal; it's been set aside for possible future expansion. I'm trying to convince the MPE Working Group not to exclude Poly AT because they're already using Mode 3 and allowing polyphony per channel, with the stipulation that multiple notes per channel defeats individual, per-note Pitch Bend and Continuous Controllers. Seems like there's no good reason to disqualify Poly AT since it's the only message that would actually work in Mode 3 once there's more than one note.

These seem like very important questions before MIDI 1.0 is expanded to include MPE (assuming Mode 4 isn't enough already). You really should be able to use that Ensoniq SQ-80 with a newly hatched "MPE" sound generator without arbitrarily being excluded from the game.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 3, 2017, at 6:54 PM, laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I Told the Team I will bite for a pre built once the expander unit is in production...
>
> this is much lighter than Lugging the ol'eighty every where
>
> I have a Poly AT keybed with my SQ80 and The MPE mode gives support to play from the continuum
>
> ---- On Wed, 03 May 2017 20:06:01 -0500 Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>
> -Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Synth Parts
The choice of CEM3340 VCOs is a surprise...

Doug

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....

-Cary

Re: Deckard's Dream

Adrian Corston
OK, so I went through the pre-order for the DIY kit, all the way up to the paypal payment page, where I noticed that the link back to the seller's web site was in the name of "ИП Филиппов Роман Викторович".

So I googled that, translated the first result page that came up back into English and it says:

"Individual businessman Filippov Roman Viktorovich. Valid from 07/22/2013. Primary activity - Provision of intermediary services for the purchase and sale of uninhabitable immovable property for remuneration or on a contractual basis, is carried out in the Rostov region."

Anyone here good mates with Filippov and willing to vouch for him before I click 'Buy' and send my money off to the wilds of northern Russia never to be seen again?   :-\

Cheers,
A.

Does the CS-80 support MIDI Mode 4? Oh, wait a minute, the CS-80 is older than MIDI by over half a decade. I guess this shows why a modern CS-80 is so much better, even without considering the weight.

Does the Continuum work with MIDI Mode 4?

I know that the Oberheim Matrix-12 and Xpander both support Mode 4, making it possible to have Multi-touch three-dimensional Expression with the Soundplane Model A and Casio MG-510, so I hope that Deckard's Dream supports the same.

Note that the most recent public draft of the MPE specification lists Poly AT as illegal; it's been set aside for possible future expansion. I'm trying to convince the MPE Working Group not to exclude Poly AT because they're already using Mode 3 and allowing polyphony per channel, with the stipulation that multiple notes per channel defeats individual, per-note Pitch Bend and Continuous Controllers. Seems like there's no good reason to disqualify Poly AT since it's the only message that would actually work in Mode 3 once there's more than one note.

These seem like very important questions before MIDI 1.0 is expanded to include MPE (assuming Mode 4 isn't enough already). You really should be able to use that Ensoniq SQ-80 with a newly hatched "MPE" sound generator without arbitrarily being excluded from the game.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 3, 2017, at 6:54 PM, laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I Told the Team I will bite for a pre built once the expander unit is in production...
>
> this is much lighter than Lugging the ol'eighty every where
>
> I have a Poly AT keybed with my SQ80 and The MPE mode gives support to play from the continuum
>
> ---- On Wed, 03 May 2017 20:06:01 -0500 Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>
> -Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Brian Willoughby
Ok, I hear ya.

… but what choice would not have surprised you? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Synth Parts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The choice of CEM3340 VCOs is a surprise...
>
> Doug
> synthparts.com
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>>
>> -Cary

Re: Deckard's Dream

Brian Willoughby
That's a very good question, Adrian. I just got the newsletter from Deckard's Dream, and it shows the following:

Our mailing address is:
DECKARD'S DREAM
2-29-4 Taishido
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo-to 154-0004
Japan

I've never been to Russia, but the Rostov Oblast is a long way from Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 7:40 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, so I went through the pre-order for the DIY kit, all the way up to the paypal payment page, where I noticed that the link back to the seller's web site was in the name of "ИП Филиппов Роман Викторович".
>
> So I googled that, translated the first result page that came up back into English and it says:
>
> "Individual businessman Filippov Roman Viktorovich. Valid from 07/22/2013. Primary activity - Provision of intermediary services for the purchase and sale of uninhabitable immovable property for remuneration or on a contractual basis, is carried out in the Rostov region."
>
> Anyone here good mates with Filippov and willing to vouch for him before I click 'Buy' and send my money off to the wilds of northern Russia never to be seen again?   :-\
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Re: Decard's Dream

Synth Parts
If you're not going to come close to the original circuits why not just build a controller?

Doug

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, I hear ya.

… but what choice would not have surprised you? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Synth Parts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The choice of CEM3340 VCOs is a surprise...
>
> Doug
> synthparts.com
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>>
>> -Cary

Re: Deckard's Dream

Brian Willoughby
While we're on the topic of surprises in the Deckard's Dream design…

I'm *extremely* surprised that there are 96 DACs on the main board (according to the text on the web site). I would have expected a single, high-speed DAC with 96 channels of precision Sample-and-Hold. There could even be a separate 12-channel S/H expander on each analog voice card to simplify the signal routing. I wonder how much the 96 DACs cost! It also seems like it would be a challenge to interface that many DACs to one processor, but maybe not that difficult. It certainly makes the digital section of the circuit much larger than the analog version would have been.

I realize that just because the Prophet 5 and just about every vintage polysynth uses a single DAC with S/H distribution doesn't mean that this is how it should always be done. But I will say that there would be better matching between voices with a single DAC.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 3, 2017, at 7:47 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I hear ya.
>
> … but what choice would not have surprised you? Inquiring minds would like to know.
>
> Brian
>
> On May 3, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Synth Parts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The choice of CEM3340 VCOs is a surprise...
>>
>> Doug
>> synthparts.com
>>
>> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>>>
>>> -Cary

Re: Decard's Dream

Quincas Moreira
Somethings are clones, and some things are new things inspired by other things :)

Quincas Moreira
Test Pilot at VBrazil Modular

Re: Deckard's Dream

elmegil
Roman Fillipov has been doing projects in the DIY community for quite some time.  He's done a number of Buchla clones, including the Source of Uncertainty in a great 5U format.  I think his Muff's user name is RomanF.

I don't know him personally, but I don't have a lot of concern about his involvement in this project either.  If I had a burning desire for a CS-80 and the money to spare, I would have no qualms about buying from him.

Thanks

Pete

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, so I went through the pre-order for the DIY kit, all the way up to the paypal payment page, where I noticed that the link back to the seller's web site was in the name of "ИП Филиппов Роман Викторович".

So I googled that, translated the first result page that came up back into English and it says:

"Individual businessman Filippov Roman Viktorovich. Valid from 07/22/2013. Primary activity - Provision of intermediary services for the purchase and sale of uninhabitable immovable property for remuneration or on a contractual basis, is carried out in the Rostov region."

Anyone here good mates with Filippov and willing to vouch for him before I click 'Buy' and send my money off to the wilds of northern Russia never to be seen again?   :-\

Cheers,
A.

Does the CS-80 support MIDI Mode 4? Oh, wait a minute, the CS-80 is older than MIDI by over half a decade. I guess this shows why a modern CS-80 is so much better, even without considering the weight.

Does the Continuum work with MIDI Mode 4?

I know that the Oberheim Matrix-12 and Xpander both support Mode 4, making it possible to have Multi-touch three-dimensional Expression with the Soundplane Model A and Casio MG-510, so I hope that Deckard's Dream supports the same.

Note that the most recent public draft of the MPE specification lists Poly AT as illegal; it's been set aside for possible future expansion. I'm trying to convince the MPE Working Group not to exclude Poly AT because they're already using Mode 3 and allowing polyphony per channel, with the stipulation that multiple notes per channel defeats individual, per-note Pitch Bend and Continuous Controllers. Seems like there's no good reason to disqualify Poly AT since it's the only message that would actually work in Mode 3 once there's more than one note.

These seem like very important questions before MIDI 1.0 is expanded to include MPE (assuming Mode 4 isn't enough already). You really should be able to use that Ensoniq SQ-80 with a newly hatched "MPE" sound generator without arbitrarily being excluded from the game.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting

On May 3, 2017, at 6:54 PM, laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I Told the Team I will bite for a pre built once the expander unit is in production...
>
> this is much lighter than Lugging the ol'eighty every where
>
> I have a Poly AT keybed with my SQ80 and The MPE mode gives support to play from the continuum
>
> ---- On Wed, 03 May 2017 20:06:01 -0500 Cary Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote ----
> It's $1000 for just the boards. It's $2500-$3000 and it's still not the CS 80.....
>
> -Cary

Re: Deckard's Dream

Adrian Corston
A Russian-speaking friend of a synth friend has advised:

"In case of any confusion Filippov is the last name, Roman is the first name, Viktorovich is the patronymic."

Someone else tells me that Roman is a well-known guy who does a bunch of Buchla DIY stuff.  So it's probably legit and all a storm in a tea-cup.  I can only assume there are several people working on this, and some are in Japan hence the mailing address there.  We do live in a networked, trans-nationally collaborative, conference-calling world without boundaries...  well, most of us do anyway.

My main blocker now is the CEM3340 question - surely the VCOs are going to sound different to aCS-80 with the IG00153 at it's core.  But how different will this be in the grander scheme of things?  So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"

Calling out to Scott Rider for an expert opinion...

Cheers,
A.

That's a very good question, Adrian. I just got the newsletter from Deckard's Dream, and it shows the following:

Our mailing address is:
DECKARD'S DREAM
2-29-4 Taishido
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo-to 154-0004
Japan

I've never been to Russia, but the Rostov Oblast is a long way from Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 7:40 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, so I went through the pre-order for the DIY kit, all the way up to the paypal payment page, where I noticed that the link back to the seller's web site was in the name of "ИП Филиппов Роман Викторович".
>
> So I googled that, translated the first result page that came up back into English and it says:
>
> "Individual businessman Filippov Roman Viktorovich. Valid from 07/22/2013. Primary activity - Provision of intermediary services for the purchase and sale of uninhabitable immovable property for remuneration or on a contractual basis, is carried out in the Rostov region."
>
> Anyone here good mates with Filippov and willing to vouch for him before I click 'Buy' and send my money off to the wilds of northern Russia never to be seen again? :-\
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Re: Deckard's Dream

Brian Willoughby
Roman Filippov is certainly well-respected around here. I even looked up his email address before replying to your query, but I got the impression that our Roman is in Poland, not Russia. A quick internet query says that Poland is actually further from Russia than Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A Russian-speaking friend of a synth friend has advised:
>
> "In case of any confusion Filippov is the last name, Roman is the first name, Viktorovich is the patronymic."
>

> Someone else tells me that Roman is a well-known guy who does a bunch of Buchla DIY stuff.  So it's probably legit and all a storm in a tea-cup.  I can only assume there are several people working on this, and some are in Japan hence the mailing address there.  We do live in a networked, trans-nationally collaborative, conference-calling world without boundaries...  well, most of us do anyway.
>
> My main blocker now is the CEM3340 question - surely the VCOs are going to sound different to aCS-80 with the IG00153 at it's core.  But how different will this be in the grander scheme of things?  So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"
>
> Calling out to Scott Rider for an expert opinion...
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Re: Deckard's Dream

Alex Timchak
I just wanted to highlight this, because I loved it so much:

So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"

The obvious answer is how many AH threads a synth generates.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roman Filippov is certainly well-respected around here. I even looked up his email address before replying to your query, but I got the impression that our Roman is in Poland, not Russia. A quick internet query says that Poland is actually further from Russia than Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A Russian-speaking friend of a synth friend has advised:
>
> "In case of any confusion Filippov is the last name, Roman is the first name, Viktorovich is the patronymic."
>

> Someone else tells me that Roman is a well-known guy who does a bunch of Buchla DIY stuff.  So it's probably legit and all a storm in a tea-cup.  I can only assume there are several people working on this, and some are in Japan hence the mailing address there.  We do live in a networked, trans-nationally collaborative, conference-calling world without boundaries...  well, most of us do anyway.
>
> My main blocker now is the CEM3340 question - surely the VCOs are going to sound different to aCS-80 with the IG00153 at it's core.  But how different will this be in the grander scheme of things?  So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"
>
> Calling out to Scott Rider for an expert opinion...
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Re: Deckard's Dream

elmegil
There is also Roman Sowa in Poland, the creator of the MIDI Implant among other projects.  Not sure if maybe that's who you're thinking of?

Pete

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roman Filippov is certainly well-respected around here. I even looked up his email address before replying to your query, but I got the impression that our Roman is in Poland, not Russia. A quick internet query says that Poland is actually further from Russia than Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A Russian-speaking friend of a synth friend has advised:
>
> "In case of any confusion Filippov is the last name, Roman is the first name, Viktorovich is the patronymic."
>

> Someone else tells me that Roman is a well-known guy who does a bunch of Buchla DIY stuff.  So it's probably legit and all a storm in a tea-cup.  I can only assume there are several people working on this, and some are in Japan hence the mailing address there.  We do live in a networked, trans-nationally collaborative, conference-calling world without boundaries...  well, most of us do anyway.
>
> My main blocker now is the CEM3340 question - surely the VCOs are going to sound different to aCS-80 with the IG00153 at it's core.  But how different will this be in the grander scheme of things?  So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"
>
> Calling out to Scott Rider for an expert opinion...
>
> Cheers,
> A.

Re: Deckard's Dream

mcc_p
Roman was in Belarus I think (at least that was the origination of my first packages from him), then Seattle for some time and nowadays Japan, I believe tokyo. Fancypants clones keep him mobile and on the go. He seems to be a solid cat that can be on occasion flaky. What flaking he has done on me he has made up for quickly and deferentially. Others have had less idyllic experiences but to my knowledge no one has been "ripped off'
El Pablo

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Pete Hartman <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is also Roman Sowa in Poland, the creator of the MIDI Implant among other projects.  Not sure if maybe that's who you're thinking of?

Pete

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roman Filippov is certainly well-respected around here. I even looked up his email address before replying to your query, but I got the impression that our Roman is in Poland, not Russia. A quick internet query says that Poland is actually further from Russia than Japan!

Brian

On May 3, 2017, at 8:18 PM, Adrian Corston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A Russian-speaking friend of a synth friend has advised:
>
> "In case of any confusion Filippov is the last name, Roman is the first name, Viktorovich is the patronymic."
>

> Someone else tells me that Roman is a well-known guy who does a bunch of Buchla DIY stuff.  So it's probably legit and all a storm in a tea-cup.  I can only assume there are several people working on this, and some are in Japan hence the mailing address there.  We do live in a networked, trans-nationally collaborative, conference-calling world without boundaries...  well, most of us do anyway.
>
> My main blocker now is the CEM3340 question - surely the VCOs are going to sound different to aCS-80 with the IG00153 at it's core.  But how different will this be in the grander scheme of things?  So back to the old AH chestnut of "what really defines a synth's sound?"
>
> Calling out to Scott Rider for an expert opinion...
>
> Cheers,
> A.

123