Quantcast

Fantom XR & display problems

Mike Perkowitz
Administrator

Anyone use one of these? I picked one up because it looks like it could be a fun sampler (with a whole roland rompler built in). It just came last night and my first impression is: sounds decent, sample handling is a bit painful (but, you can have it load samples on startup, so that's nice), and there's a lot of button mashing just to get around and do some basic editing. still, it makes for a compact flexible sampler that you can also load via USB.

However, my screen is wonky, which is apparently a common problem. There's some talk online about fiddling with the display cable, but it seems to be pretty delicate, and I'm not sure yet how painful it is to get in there. Anyone had a similar issue?

good ol Roland romplers -- the Fantom's basic layout is identical to my JD-990 (except minus osc sync, plus sampling). of course, I doubt its basic tone is as good as the 990

mike

Re: Fantom XR & display problems

Paul Nagle
On 10/05/2017 17:12, Mike Perkowitz wrote:

> Anyone use one of these? I picked one up because it looks like it could
> be a fun sampler (with a whole roland rompler built in). It just came
> last night and my first impression is: sounds decent, sample handling is
> a bit painful (but, you can have it load samples on startup, so that's
> nice), and there's a lot of button mashing just to get around and do
> some basic editing. still, it makes for a compact flexible sampler that
> you can also load via USB.

Used one for a while. As well as icky sample handling, very slow load on
startup from the PCMCIA slot, or at least I never found a way to speed
it up. Seem to recall it took over 6 mins before it was usable. Powerful
module otherwise.

--
Paul
http://www.softroom.co.uk/

---

Re: Fantom XR & display problems

Mike Perkowitz
Administrator

SIX MINUTES?? jeez I wish I'd asked this question before I bought one :-/