Quantcast

Germany: don't bother

12

Germany: don't bother

Matt Davey
I thought USPS was bad, but perhaps DHL in Germany now takes the cake as the worst.

Here's my recent experience sending stuff from Japan to Germany:

of 5 boxes, all boxes were severely damaged.  One had been so badly treated that it had been stuck back together by DHL at some point in the journey, because they had caused it to be completely split along one edge.
It seems as if every box was dropped or thrown at least once.

I sent an MKS80 in a hard case.  Wooden 2U hard case with screws.  All four screws were ripped out of the case, even though the synth was in hard case, wrapped with 4 layers of bubble wrap. Plus double boxed.
Haven't checked yet, and i hope the synth itself is still OK, but really amazed that with all the buffering, DHL still managed to treat a box so badly to literally smash the wood screw housings on a hard case.

And then, of course, when it gets to Germany, the receiver has to fill out all sorts of ridiculous paperwork and probably pay some fees just to get their own box.

Look, don't get me wrong, it's an awesome place.  Just don't send anything here unless you wanna get into all sorts of troubles.

Re: Germany: don't bother

David Bulog
Matt
mistake  No1 : to send smallish musical equipment in wooden cases ——asking for trouble —I’m not surprised they opened it —all the stuff in wooden cases is inclined to be prone to accidents and drops
A wooden case is ok for a grand piano  !!!!!
Way better to bubble wrap with and pack item with balls of newspaper and ship in a simple strong cardboard box (TC2)

David

On 15/05/2017, at 12:37 pm, Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Florian Anwander-2
We have to differ between DHL Germany, and DHL world wide. DHL inside
Germany is originally German Post. It is the most reliable and most
careful shipping company in Germany. I always insist on shipping with DHL.

DHL international is something completely different. It is a franchise
enterprise (owned by DHL Germany of course) which sells the IT
infrastructure, to local shipping companies; they can be perfect in one
place and they can be hell somewhere else. Even DHL Germany doesn't
cooperate with DHL international when shipments go to other countries.
They still deliver via the corresponding national postoffice.

eon

Re: Germany: don't bother

eon

For the record, I have about 150 parcels shipped to me from Japan to
Poland by DHL each year and they are very reliable.

M.

Re: Germany: don't bother

Tom Bugs
Interesting subject & reply - Germany is the one place where I have had
several issues over a number of years with regular domestic post (rarely
used DHL couriers).

This is with items sent from me (UK) via the Royal Mail International
Tracked service (priority, tracked service - used to be Airsure) to
domestic & business addresses in Germany.
For one particular time I remember that the tracking code went
effectively dead and several attempts to call a DHL service number
brought about no help (perhaps there was something about DHL
Germany/Worldwide confusion amongst this) until one number finally took
me to a brusque sounding lady who gave me a new tracking code for the
parcel and promptly hung up! I was pretty damn surprised, not only by
her manner, but more that a NEW tracking number had been generated - how
was I (or the customer) meant to track the parcel?!

That parcel and the others with issues have always been returned to me -
which naturally takes some weeks, so is a waste of time & money.
There was a suggestion that one or two issues may have been due to names
not being present on any letter box, but in none of these instances were
any 'missed delivery' slips left or such.
It is interesting that as the sender I can usually find an English
version of whatever country's postal website and check tracking their
quickly & easily - maybe I am missing something with the German setup,
but I do remain wary.

Tom

On 15/05/2017 18:34, Florian Anwander wrote:

> We have to differ between DHL Germany, and DHL world wide. DHL inside
> Germany is originally German Post. It is the most reliable and most
> careful shipping company in Germany. I always insist on shipping with
> DHL.
>
> DHL international is something completely different. It is a franchise
> enterprise (owned by DHL Germany of course) which sells the IT
> infrastructure, to local shipping companies; they can be perfect in
> one place and they can be hell somewhere else. Even DHL Germany
> doesn't cooperate with DHL international when shipments go to other
> countries. They still deliver via the corresponding national postoffice.

--
BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808
www.bugbrand.co.uk

Re: Germany: don't bother

Matt Davey
>There was a suggestion that one or two issues may have been due to names not being present on any letter box, but in none of these instances were any 'missed delivery' slips left or such.

YES!  this is another totally infuriating thing here in Germany.  The post boxes are all done by NAME, rather than the very obvious and trouble-free system of just going by apartment or house number.  So, if you have an apartment building with 100 residents, then the postal officer has to look at every post box to find the name matching the letter or parcel.  Utterly ridiculous.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Tom Bugs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian Willoughby
It has been my experience that the tracking number always changes at the country border when using a postal service. Private shippers are different because they can maintain a tracking number internationally, but those are usually more expensive (at least they're usually faster). When choosing the cheaper postal service option, if I get a tracking number then it only allows tracking to the border, and then the hand-off means that the package enters a totally different tracking system. On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number, but usually only on shipments that are so slow that I have time to navigate the maze.

I can't tell from your story whether you managed to avoid the domestic DHL postal service, or if your shipment should have been entirely via private carrier.

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

RE: Germany: don't bother

Peter Forrest
In my experience tracking is not getting any more efficient.  For instance
being asked by DPD to send full details of a parcel which was lost in their
depot, warning the recipient that it was lost, and then finding out from the
recipient that it had been delivered although DPD still thought they had
lost it in the warehouse.
I think the reality is that all the courier services, even the premium ones,
have pockets of unreliability around the world.
And I still think the most important thing of all in shipping is excellent
packaging.
That means serious protection within a tight sensibly-sized cardboard carton
- definitely not wood or flightcase.
Peter

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number
> to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from Japan
(japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I always could
track the original tracking number in my national post tracking (in this
case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

RE: Germany: don't bother

random variate
National/state postal services now generally conform to a new standardised tracking reference scheme which facilitates tracking across international boundaries.

(some countries are more mature with their adoption of the scheme / tracking events etc)

Cheers

Tim

(UK)

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

RE: Germany: don't bother

Lorne Hammond

Estonia does, Canada not so much. lorne

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

Re: Germany: don't bother

Jason Proctor
fwiw, i can never get reliable tracking shipping UK -> USA.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Lorne Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

Estonia does, Canada not so much. lorne

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

RE: Germany: don't bother

random variate
I'm not convinced it would be smooth sailing for you

On 15.05.17 22:51 , Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On rare occasions, I've been able to map from the old tracking number to a new tracking number,
I cannot confirm this. I the last three months I've got parcels from
Japan (japan post / EMS), US (USPS), Argentinia (Correo Argentina). I
always could track the original tracking number in my national post
tracking (in this case: Deutsche Post parcel services = DHL).

Florian

Re: Transporting gear over the pond, was: Germany...

Florian Anwander-2
Hello Collin

On 16.05.17 07:24 , Collin Crowe wrote:
> Similar topic but if I were to fly to Europe with only a modular and a
> checks bag full of drum machines / synths / cables etc would I run
> into problems?

What do you mean with "fly to Europe"? Will you stay and live there? Do
you want to play a concert in Europe and will you return?

If you stay there, then ask your moving services, they should know about
the rules. Also search the archives. I think there was a thread some
years ago about this topic.

If you get there for a gig, take the original bills (even private ones)
with you, and in advance get a written confirmation from the location
where you are playing. The bills will save you the customs when
returning to the states. The confirmation will safe you the customs when
you enter the European Union.

Florian
12