Good Trader: Moog Music Inc !

Peter Forrest

Moog Music does sometimes get criticised for their perceived high prices, so I’d like to balance that with a very impressive bit of customer service.

They had an issue between 2010 and 2013 with a large batch of faulty ICs which affected certain Voyagers, etc.. Quite rightly, when it was discovered, they offered to replace the boards on those machines under warranty.

But this month I discovered that a Voyager sold in the auction obviously had a faulty board, which hadn’t been discovered (amazingly) by two former owners because they apparently didn’t use stereo outputs (or didn’t tell the next owner about it, at least...).

So here was a 6- or 7-year-old machine, onto its third owner, with no proof of purchase or warranty paperwork – but Moog’s service / distribution agents in the UK replaced the board with no charge, and returned it free within two days.

Good customer service!

Peter

Re: Good Trader: Moog Music Inc !

negativesaucer
I wouldn't expect less.  it IS their synth, and it DID have the faulty
IC.  ownership history etc should be irrelevant.

to me this is basic customer service.  it is too bad that simply being
a logically reasonable company is now so exceptional that it stands
out from the rest of the pack.

i've found that the eurorack market is very customer service oriented.
every module I've ever had issues with was generally replaced
immediately, or in Dieter Doepfers case, he was sending me emails at
4am regarding a 47 cent IC while he was at an industry event.

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 4:57 AM, Peter Forrest <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Moog Music does sometimes get criticised for their perceived high prices, so
> I’d like to balance that with a very impressive bit of customer service.
>
> They had an issue between 2010 and 2013 with a large batch of faulty ICs
> which affected certain Voyagers, etc.. Quite rightly, when it was
> discovered, they offered to replace the boards on those machines under
> warranty.
>
> But this month I discovered that a Voyager sold in the auction obviously had
> a faulty board, which hadn’t been discovered (amazingly) by two former
> owners because they apparently didn’t use stereo outputs (or didn’t tell the
> next owner about it, at least...).
>
> So here was a 6- or 7-year-old machine, onto its third owner, with no proof
> of purchase or warranty paperwork – but Moog’s service / distribution agents
> in the UK replaced the board with no charge, and returned it free within two
> days.
>
> Good customer service!
>
> Peter

Re: Good Trader: Moog Music Inc !

benny blanco®
I had a recent experience with DreadboxFX for my Erebus that had a faulty Oscilator. After a few email exchanges they offered to repair for free minus cost of parts. After a failed shipping attempt with FedEx to Greece. I ended up getting the broken synth in Yannis' hands via USPS. For the repair, it turned out it was just a cold solder issue. Had I better troubleshooting skills in this area....

Dreadbox quickly emailed back saying the unit was repaired and was in the post back to NY... packed with a few extra goodies for my troubles. It took a good 6 weeks to get back home  and through customs. But the Erebus is back in the studio sounding as beefy as before. The bonus goodies were 2 utility eurorack modules. I'm too tepid too jump into those waters but the gesture was above and beyond.

Never fear if you have issues with DreadboxFX.
They are great peoples.

Benny Blanco

--
benny blanco®
blancodisco.com
SVG

Re: Good Trader: Moog Music Inc !

SVG
Back to the OP...  Moog Music has good prices, regardless of whether or not you can afford them.  And yes, they offer superb customer service though not as simple as people here are making it out to be.  Of all my experience over the last 41 years of working with electronic music manufacturers, Moog stands head and shoulders above the pack.

To be able to call a company and within one minute be talking to someone who listened to my description of a faulty working unit, have them be knowledgeable enough to isolate the problem (with 98% certainty) to a malfunctioning chip and tell me how to repair it myself, well this goes far beyond (IMHO) a company who will repair it for you for free.  Moog has always gone above and beyond (in my experience).  Plus their product sounds soooooo good.

Stephen

--
benny blanco®
blancodisco.com

Re: Good Trader: Moog Music Inc !

Kenny Balys-2

My Select Series Voyager just had the same issue.

It is long out of warranty but Moog is covering the repair.

They have no obligation to do this but the fact that they are doing it
makes my wallet open to new Moog product.

PS:

As an aside, its all too often I run into "I don't really like this
synth" and then have a look at it and see that the instrument is totally
non-functional and in need of repair and the owner is clueless as to its
proper function. Some folk are just a bag of hammers.

Yours,
Niall.