Legato LFO

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Legato LFO

Andrew Simper
Hi Guys,

This is strictly speaking not analog, but still I think hopefully it will be of interest and most analog kit is digitally controlled these days anyway.

I was working on getting song position sync more solid with various hosts for my plugins, and while doing so took a few days to explore something I have been meaning to do for a while.

We all know the situation, you have a BPM synced LFO and you want to change the rate and have everything update smoothly with no jumps - just slide to the correct tempo legato styleee. Have a listen and let me know what you think:


There are two LFOs, one a sine wave, and one a sawtooth down, and they are controlling the Low pass cutoff only. I manually alter the cutoff and res of a high pass and low pass in series.

Does anyone know of any LFOs that allow for this already? I'm hoping it's a first.

Cheers,

Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Legato LFO

Justin Maxwell
4ms PEG can do this if you manipulate the rate cv input or manipulate the clock signal coming in


On Aug 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Andrew Simper <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi Guys,

This is strictly speaking not analog, but still I think hopefully it will be of interest and most analog kit is digitally controlled these days anyway.

I was working on getting song position sync more solid with various hosts for my plugins, and while doing so took a few days to explore something I have been meaning to do for a while.

We all know the situation, you have a BPM synced LFO and you want to change the rate and have everything update smoothly with no jumps - just slide to the correct tempo legato styleee. Have a listen and let me know what you think:


There are two LFOs, one a sine wave, and one a sawtooth down, and they are controlling the Low pass cutoff only. I manually alter the cutoff and res of a high pass and low pass in series.

Does anyone know of any LFOs that allow for this already? I'm hoping it's a first.

Cheers,

Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Legato LFO

DJ Maytag
Only thing I can think of might be one of the LFO's in Reason, and I would have my doubts that the one included (Pulsar) would work like you're trying to describe. Maybe Synchronous might have this ability, but I don't (yet) have that Rack Extension.

That said, I think you've just made a sale on The Drop. That thing sounds pretty nice. 

Mitch

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
4ms PEG can do this if you manipulate the rate cv input or manipulate the clock signal coming in


On Aug 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Andrew Simper <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi Guys,

This is strictly speaking not analog, but still I think hopefully it will be of interest and most analog kit is digitally controlled these days anyway.

I was working on getting song position sync more solid with various hosts for my plugins, and while doing so took a few days to explore something I have been meaning to do for a while.

We all know the situation, you have a BPM synced LFO and you want to change the rate and have everything update smoothly with no jumps - just slide to the correct tempo legato styleee. Have a listen and let me know what you think:


There are two LFOs, one a sine wave, and one a sawtooth down, and they are controlling the Low pass cutoff only. I manually alter the cutoff and res of a high pass and low pass in series.

Does anyone know of any LFOs that allow for this already? I'm hoping it's a first.

Cheers,

Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Legato LFO

skunk3
Pretty sure you can do that with Elektron stuff.

On Aug 4, 2017 11:33 AM, "DJ Maytag" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Only thing I can think of might be one of the LFO's in Reason, and I would have my doubts that the one included (Pulsar) would work like you're trying to describe. Maybe Synchronous might have this ability, but I don't (yet) have that Rack Extension.

That said, I think you've just made a sale on The Drop. That thing sounds pretty nice. 

Mitch

On Fri, Aug 4, 2017 at 11:12 AM Justin Maxwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
4ms PEG can do this if you manipulate the rate cv input or manipulate the clock signal coming in


On Aug 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Andrew Simper <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi Guys,

This is strictly speaking not analog, but still I think hopefully it will be of interest and most analog kit is digitally controlled these days anyway.

I was working on getting song position sync more solid with various hosts for my plugins, and while doing so took a few days to explore something I have been meaning to do for a while.

We all know the situation, you have a BPM synced LFO and you want to change the rate and have everything update smoothly with no jumps - just slide to the correct tempo legato styleee. Have a listen and let me know what you think:


There are two LFOs, one a sine wave, and one a sawtooth down, and they are controlling the Low pass cutoff only. I manually alter the cutoff and res of a high pass and low pass in series.

Does anyone know of any LFOs that allow for this already? I'm hoping it's a first.

Cheers,

Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Legato LFO

Andrew Simper

On 5 August 2017 at 01:02, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pretty sure you can do that with Elektron stuff.

Thanks for the info. Can you please let me know exactly which module Elektron make that supports this?

I know the Elektron stuff does support bpm synced LFOs, but that sort of thing is supported by oodles of kit. I'm talking about changing a Sine wave LFO rate say from 1/4 note to 1/2 note at any point in the phase and having no discontinuity in that adjustment of LFO rate till it reaches the new tempo, it just slides to the new rate as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Cheers,

Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Legato LFO

skunk3
Between track settings, p-locks, and parameter slide (which is available on all Elektrons afaik), you should be able to do this. I was just experimenting with something similar the other day! 



On Aug 4, 2017 2:30 PM, "Mattias Rickardsson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm quite sure that the Elektron LFOs don't do this by default (and you likely wouldn't always want it either), but when I come to think of it I expect it to actually happen if you sequence your LFO Speed parameter changes with Parameter Slide. Fun!

But as a general intentional feature, yours might be a first. :-)

/mr


Den 4 aug. 2017 8:34 em skrev "Andrew Simper" <[hidden email]>:

On 5 August 2017 at 01:02, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pretty sure you can do that with Elektron stuff.

Thanks for the info. Can you please let me know exactly which module Elektron make that supports this?

I know the Elektron stuff does support bpm synced LFOs, but that sort of thing is supported by oodles of kit. I'm talking about changing a Sine wave LFO rate say from 1/4 note to 1/2 note at any point in the phase and having no discontinuity in that adjustment of LFO rate till it reaches the new tempo, it just slides to the new rate as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Cheers,

Andy


Loading...