Listening Recomendations

Mark C
Say if your favourite current artists are ...

Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin

who else would you you recommend?

My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

A. Horton
The label Acid Waxa is doing great stuff in the tradition of Rephlex
and those artists. Roy of the Ravers in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JEXquWC7A

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>
> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>
> who else would you you recommend?
>
> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love
> German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

sines
would definitely check out

Patricia
https://soundcloud.com/patriciaaa

Max’s label [full disclosure, got something forthcoming here soon]
https://soundcloud.com/active_cultures

Jahiliyya Fields
https://soundcloud.com/jahiliyya-fields

Bookworms
https://soundcloud.com/bookworms

Inhalants
stuff on L.I.E.S.

Todd

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>
> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>
> who else would you you recommend?
>
> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Mark C
Thank You - I like the Patrica soundcloud, I seem to prefer listening to contemporary music at work - no idea why.

Who is Roy of the Ravers? He/She has got to be the masked wrestler of Rave! That bassline tho, almost makes the 303 seem worth thousands.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:18 PM, sines <[hidden email]> wrote:
would definitely check out

Patricia
https://soundcloud.com/patriciaaa

Max’s label [full disclosure, got something forthcoming here soon]
https://soundcloud.com/active_cultures

Jahiliyya Fields
https://soundcloud.com/jahiliyya-fields

Bookworms
https://soundcloud.com/bookworms

Inhalants
stuff on L.I.E.S.

Todd

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>
> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>
> who else would you you recommend?
>
> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

RE: Listening Recomendations

random variate
+1 For L.I.E.S

https://www.discogs.com/label/193472-LIES-Long-Island-Electrical-Systems

Have a go on Super Rhythm Trax
https://www.discogs.com/label/732881-Super-Rhythm-Trax

Oh and

https://www.discogs.com/label/5297-Crème-Organization

Cheers

Tim

Max’s label [full disclosure, got something forthcoming here soon]
https://soundcloud.com/active_cultures

Jahiliyya Fields
https://soundcloud.com/jahiliyya-fields

Bookworms
https://soundcloud.com/bookworms

Inhalants
stuff on L.I.E.S.

Todd

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>
> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>
> who else would you you recommend?
>
> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Brian Cypher
+1 on Patricia. and all of Max Ravitz's output

also check out EOD

and Jodey Kendrick

-Brian

Sent from my iPhone

Max’s label [full disclosure, got something forthcoming here soon]
https://soundcloud.com/active_cultures

Jahiliyya Fields
https://soundcloud.com/jahiliyya-fields

Bookworms
https://soundcloud.com/bookworms

Inhalants
stuff on L.I.E.S.

Todd

> On Aug 8, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Mark C <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>
> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>
> who else would you you recommend?
>
> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Michael Taylor-14
Waajeed and Dez Andrés are pretty bananas right now.

The Geometricks EP by Nu Era that came out a couple of months ago is p great as well.

On Aug 8, 2017 10:13 AM, "Mark C" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Say if your favourite current artists are ...

Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin

who else would you you recommend?

My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

A. Horton
A LOT of people love Jlin as well, but her stuff just sounds chaotic
to me. Maybe I'm missing something and ymmw.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Waajeed and Dez Andrés are pretty bananas right now.
>
> The Geometricks EP by Nu Era that came out a couple of months ago is p great
> as well.
>

> On Aug 8, 2017 10:13 AM, "Mark C" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>>
>> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>>
>> who else would you you recommend?
>>
>> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love
>> German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Michael Taylor-14
Jlin is coming out if footwork, whereas Waajeed and Andrés are coming out of house music and hip hop.

I know what you mean about the chaos. She still works in 4/4 time, but she doesn't announce the grid in the ways most commercial western music does. I find myself counting time to see what she is doing.

She might have a two bar loop, and there is a kick on the one and a clap on two, and the other six beats are always changing. Another track might have a kick on the one and a clap on the third beat of the second bar and everything else changes all the time.

I can appreciate it, but I find myself spending more effort counting time like a drummer than listening and enjoying. I'm not a super big fan of footwork in general. I like some jit and ghetto house, but footwork is a little too random for me.

On Aug 8, 2017 11:53 AM, "A. Horton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
A LOT of people love Jlin as well, but her stuff just sounds chaotic
to me. Maybe I'm missing something and ymmw.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Waajeed and Dez Andrés are pretty bananas right now.
>
> The Geometricks EP by Nu Era that came out a couple of months ago is p great
> as well.
>

> On Aug 8, 2017 10:13 AM, "Mark C" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>>
>> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>>
>> who else would you you recommend?
>>
>> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love
>> German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Alex Timchak
Agreed about Jlin.  Apparently she and RDJ have a thing going.  More headbobbing music than dancing, but it is definitely worth a listen.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jlin is coming out if footwork, whereas Waajeed and Andrés are coming out of house music and hip hop.

I know what you mean about the chaos. She still works in 4/4 time, but she doesn't announce the grid in the ways most commercial western music does. I find myself counting time to see what she is doing.

She might have a two bar loop, and there is a kick on the one and a clap on two, and the other six beats are always changing. Another track might have a kick on the one and a clap on the third beat of the second bar and everything else changes all the time.

I can appreciate it, but I find myself spending more effort counting time like a drummer than listening and enjoying. I'm not a super big fan of footwork in general. I like some jit and ghetto house, but footwork is a little too random for me.

On Aug 8, 2017 11:53 AM, "A. Horton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
A LOT of people love Jlin as well, but her stuff just sounds chaotic
to me. Maybe I'm missing something and ymmw.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Waajeed and Dez Andrés are pretty bananas right now.
>
> The Geometricks EP by Nu Era that came out a couple of months ago is p great
> as well.
>

> On Aug 8, 2017 10:13 AM, "Mark C" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Say if your favourite current artists are ...
>>
>> Ceephax Acid Crew, Dave Monolith, DMX Krew or Analord / Tuss Aphex Twin
>>
>> who else would you you recommend?
>>
>> My taste in contemporary music seems to be pretty UK based whereas I love
>> German, Japanese & Afro-American older (70s/80s) electronic music.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Em Wilson
RE: footwork
I have a couple buddies who each run footwork labels  that are absolute STICKLERS for the traditional Chicago format. There's a measure/count math to it that's something like 2/3/2. I'll have to dig in my emails and see if I still have their discourse on it. It's interesting because to these two dudes, anything outside the given math isn't footwork. Same goes for juke. I figure to them it's like 12 bar blues is to 12 bar blues guys (and maybe the non-formula cats are bop musicians... by way of metaphor)

Really digging the links. Thanks for sharing them all - nice to have fresh tunes in the playlist.

Cheers!

    Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

Re: Listening Recomendations

A. Horton
I'd love to read that treatise. I truly do not understand footwork -
it sounds like jungle made by people with no sense of rhythm.

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Em Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> RE: footwork
> I have a couple buddies who each run footwork labels  that are absolute
> STICKLERS for the traditional Chicago format. There's a measure/count math
> to it that's something like 2/3/2. I'll have to dig in my emails and see if
> I still have their discourse on it. It's interesting because to these two
> dudes, anything outside the given math isn't footwork. Same goes for juke. I
> figure to them it's like 12 bar blues is to 12 bar blues guys (and maybe the
> non-formula cats are bop musicians... by way of metaphor)
>
> Really digging the links. Thanks for sharing them all - nice to have fresh
> tunes in the playlist.
>
> Cheers!
>

> On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Michael Taylor <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Jlin is coming out if footwork, whereas Waajeed and Andrés are coming out
>> of house music and hip hop.
>>
>> I know what you mean about the chaos. She still works in 4/4 time, but she
>> doesn't announce the grid in the ways most commercial western music does. I
>> find myself counting time to see what she is doing.
>>
>> She might have a two bar loop, and there is a kick on the one and a clap
>> on two, and the other six beats are always changing. Another track might
>> have a kick on the one and a clap on the third beat of the second bar and
>> everything else changes all the time.
>>
>> I can appreciate it, but I find myself spending more effort counting time
>> like a drummer than listening and enjoying. I'm not a super big fan of
>> footwork in general. I like some jit and ghetto house, but footwork is a
>> little too random for me.
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2017 11:53 AM, "A. Horton" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> A LOT of people love Jlin as well, but her stuff just sounds chaotic
>>> to me. Maybe I'm missing something and ymmw.

> --
>
> Data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about.

Re: Listening Recomendations

Steven Clements
completely agree on Dave Monolith, EOD and Roy the Raver... of course Luke Vibert in all his incarnations, BOC, Hardfloor, µ-Ziq, Acid Jesus, If you're into Orb and Orbital... you might dig Thomas Fehlmann solo stuff

really dig Birdy Nam Nam but that's more big beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5pWbHMdZc&list=PL53906EAD02E60C12

Same with Shout out out out out - less Aphex Twin more big beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu7Sv00nag8

Steven

Future_Sound _Of_Canada

Fenton Fonic: