Looking for SAD512

Frank Hettlich
While still looking for someone in Japan to forward a package to me I got a call from my tech who is working on a broken Roland RS-505:

"I know you are usually very lucky with costly repairs, here I have another one: 2 SAD512 ics are dead. Have fun getting these."

So here we are...anyone on this list has 2*Reticon SAD512 for sale at a moderate price?

P.S.: I think I am holding the world record of broken CEM ics in one single synthesizer:
A few months ago 7 (!) CEMs were faulty in my Oberheim OB-8 after not having used it for a while...for the curious minded:
1x CEM3360 VCA
4x CEM3320 VCF
2x CEM3340 VCO

The tech has/had no idea why and has never seen something like this happening. The OB-8 was sitting in the same room with the same environmental condition as a couple of other polyphonic synths. The only one that survived without "pain" was the Jupiter-8...made in Japan!

Re: Looking for SAD512

Wiseguy
You want SAD512D these are hard to find, beware for fakes because they are around.

Op do 11 mei 2017 om 17:48 schreef Frank Hettlich <[hidden email]>
[...]

Kiwitechnics
I have 2 x SAD512D NOS which I have had since the '80s stored in conductive foam and have never been used. I have no way of testing these but I can guarantee they are the real deal.

I'm prepared to sell them but I do not know what the current price would be. Any ideas?

A source of these may be old Lowery home organs from the '80s. The ones I have are from a service kit I still have from when I serviced these. Looking at the schematics on the site http://www.lowreyforum.com/manuals/D600_MX1_Part2.pdf (p106) I see there are 6 in this particular model of organ. I'm guessing these will be pretty cheap if you can fine one.

MH

On 12/05/2017 3:47 AM, Frank Hettlich wrote:
While still looking for someone in Japan to forward a package to me I got a call from my tech who is working on a broken Roland RS-505:

"I know you are usually very lucky with costly repairs, here I have another one: 2 SAD512 ics are dead. Have fun getting these."

So here we are...anyone on this list has 2*Reticon SAD512 for sale at a moderate price?

Re: dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512

Florian Anwander-2
Hello Frank

Am 11.05.2017 um 17:47 schrieb Frank Hettlich:

> The tech has/had no idea why and has never seen something like this
> happening.
CEMs do not like, if one of the supply rails is missing. They usually
quit on this. For example a shorting tantal capacitor on the negative
rail will kill the CEM3340 quite reliably.

Florian

http://www.florian-anwander.de

Aw: Re: [AH] dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512

Frank Hettlich
Hello Florian,

before powering on all those synths that were not used for some time I had my tech check the inside for obvious/visible faults (battery leakage, tantalums etc) and after powering on he measured the voltages that were (according to him) ok...

It seems that chips (depending on make and model, of course) sometimes (or often?) just die when the instrument is not used for a while OR they die when used the first time. Maybe it is too much stress for them to wake up and work...

P.S.: I was in contact with Jeffrey from synthcom.com who is THE expert on the Jupiter-6 (creator of the Europa upgrade) and when I told him that 2*CEM3360 were faulty while everything else worked flawlessly he stated:
"In my experience the 3360 is the most likely part to fail on the JP6 voice boards."

So there are sometimes "patterns" of CEMs failing.

All the best

Frank

Gesendet: Freitag, 12. Mai 2017 um 09:40 Uhr
Von: "Florian Anwander" <[hidden email]>
An: "Analogue Heaven" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [AH] dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512
Hello Frank

Am 11.05.2017 um 17:47 schrieb Frank Hettlich:

> The tech has/had no idea why and has never seen something like this
> happening.
CEMs do not like, if one of the supply rails is missing. They usually
quit on this. For example a shorting tantal capacitor on the negative
rail will kill the CEM3340 quite reliably.

Florian

http://www.florian-anwander.de

Re: Re: [AH] dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512

Tomislav Babic
On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Frank Hettlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Florian,

before powering on all those synths that were not used for some time I had my tech check the inside for obvious/visible faults (battery leakage, tantalums etc) and after powering on he measured the voltages that were (according to him) ok...

that's a great practice, disconnecting voiceboards prior to powering up, to check if rails
are all up to spec, that power is stable and smooth, tantals etc

It seems that chips (depending on make and model, of course) sometimes (or often?) just die when the instrument is not used for a while OR they die when used the first time. Maybe it is too much stress for them to wake up and work...

i never had a cem die out of old age. 3360 or any other. it seems to me that its almost
always extreme problems with power that does it: bad psu,  tantal short,
lightning strike, voltage spike..

only chip i ever had to replace that sort of "just died" was IR3R01 adsr in jup8.

P.S.: I was in contact with Jeffrey from synthcom.com who is THE expert on the Jupiter-6 (creator of the Europa upgrade) and when I told him that 2*CEM3360 were faulty while everything else worked flawlessly he stated:

--
---
Tomislav Babic

www.myspace.com/nimbusdei

Re: dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512

James R. Coplin-2
3360s are troublesome. I've had a lot (6 or so) of them fail over the years. I'm really hoping Behringer clones them.

James R Copli

Sent from my iPhone

www.myspace.com/nimbusdei

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:22 PM, James R. Coplin <[hidden email]> wrote:
3360s are troublesome. I've had a lot (6 or so) of them fail over the years. I'm really hoping Behringer clones them.

wheew that's a lot, what machine was this, James ?

did you exclude the posibility of something else (power related)  frying them on regular basis?

--
---

www.myspace.com/nimbusdei

Re: dead CEMs, was: Looking for SAD512

James R. Coplin-2
To be fair, I have a *lot* of machines and have for a *long* time. Most of the problem was in my Memorymoog and two Chromas. A couple others here and there. Besides the negative rail problem (which is 100% a real thing) the 3360 were used stupidly (or at least in designs where they weren't necessary). For me, I have way more 3360s in my gear than any other CEM so odds are if a chip goes, it will be a 3360 for me. The Memorymoog uses them all over the place where an opamp would have been fine. The Chroma has one in the panel eq circuit!

James

Sent from my iPhone