New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

Mike Kent-2
RC-808, still very preliminary work. Freeware.

The “analogue mafia”, all former Roland engineers, lead by Tadao Kikumoto who lead development of the TR-808, have built a software emulation of TR-808. Two of my former bosses are on the team (Kikumoto and Nakamura). The guys on the team are mostly retired, doing projects like this for fun. Kikumoto has built an incredible humanoid-style drummer robot at home. Anyway, back to their RC-808:

What most of the English speaking world call x0x boxes, they call the the Mid-O Series.
Cool information here, direct from the real sources:

News article (in Japanese) with more information.

Mike.

Re: New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

Dan Nigrin

Love this, thanks for sharing Mike!

--

Dan Nigrin / Defective Records / https://defectiverecords.com

Cyclic, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-4, MC-202 and DSX Hacks / Audio Plugin & General MIDI Players

News article (in Japanese) with more information.

Re: New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

Mike Kent-2
I worked for Roland for over 30 years. I know about 1/2 of these guys, communicated with Kikumoto almost daily for many years. Roland takes a lot of flack online, its easy to criticize from the bleachers. But I think the articles written there give a decent view of how these devices came to be. I think this also explains fairly well that, while every business has to make money, the passion of these guys (and most people in the musical instrument business) for music and for creative and expressive musical instruments is the true motivator behind the gear.

Here’s a video of the RC-808:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjf_4xDCwsQ

Mike.

On Aug 13, 2019, at 4:16 AM, Daniel Nigrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Love this, thanks for sharing Mike!

--
Dan Nigrin / Defective Records / https://defectiverecords.com
Cyclic, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-4, MC-202 and DSX Hacks / Audio Plugin & General MIDI Players

News article (in Japanese) with more information.

News article (in Japanese) with more information.

Re: New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

Matt Davey
"but back in the R&D day of the 808, we had only cheap playback devices in our labs in Roland, and none of us were able to hear nor realize the heavy low bass frequency bands of this killer tone. "

That is nuts.  Those guys developed the 808 kick without even hearing its actual bass!

Re: New RC-808 Emulator From the Original Inventor

Mark Spano
One might think that had they heard it all, they might have thought "too woolly" and added a circuit to remove some of the low end. Happy accidents…

On Aug 16, 2019, at 8:55 AM, Andrew Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wonderful history here but I can’t think of anything less interesting than an 808 plugin in 2019!

The point of this software is not really emulating an 808. Instead it is about emulating how the designers would have like to extend the original 808 circuits such that each sound had a more flexible synthesis engine to create wide variations of the sounds. I think this stands apart from all other 808 “emulators” as something very different.

Mike.

[...]

mark c
Based on the demo that Mike posted it sounds a lot more like a Nord drum which I mean as a compliment, especially if those were sounds they had in mind back then.

It was also interesting to hear that the 808 snare was a compromise being based on the CR78 due to time constraints. Well they certainly made up for that with the 909 snare!