Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

Brian Willoughby
Hello everyone,

I am interested in the GR-50 as a sound module for my Godin Freeway SA (SynthAccess) guitar. I'm seeing a lot of eBay auctions and used units on Amazon.com, and all are from Japan with a 100VAC requirement.

Did Roland ever release a US market version of this module with 120VAC support?

The Service Notes seem to list 100V, 117V, 220V, 240VE (UK) and 240VA. Are the 117V "SJS-20J" AC Cords completely compatible with US voltages? How rare are the 117V units?

Brian

Re: Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

David Messenger-2
Yes they did, there just aren't many around now. I have one that needs
repair. Be patient, one will eventually show up on ebay.

d.
On 5/4/2017 4:03 PM, Brian Willoughby wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am interested in the GR-50 as a sound module for my Godin Freeway SA (SynthAccess) guitar. I'm seeing a lot of eBay auctions and used units on Amazon.com, and all are from Japan with a 100VAC requirement.
>
> Did Roland ever release a US market version of this module with 120VAC support?
>
> The Service Notes seem to list 100V, 117V, 220V, 240VE (UK) and 240VA. Are the 117V "SJS-20J" AC Cords completely compatible with US voltages? How rare are the 117V units?
>
> Brian

Re: Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

Charles Jowett-2
>I am interested in the GR-50 as a sound module for my Godin Freeway SA (SynthAccess) >guitar. I'm seeing a lot of eBay auctions and used units on Amazon.com, and all are from Japan >with a 100VAC requirement.
>
>Did Roland ever release a US market version of this module with 120VAC support?
>
>The Service Notes seem to list 100V, 117V, 220V, 240VE (UK) and 240VA. Are the 117V >"SJS-20J" AC Cords completely compatible with US voltages? How rare are the 117V units?

Brian,

The 117V is the US market version.  The line voltage is the US is 120V +/- 10% or 108V-132V.  Manufacturers will sometimes spec the voltage slightly lower.  I once worked for a company where we specified our product for 118V so we could pass the required 118 + 10% tests.  Our product would fail at 132V but would pass at 130V.

Most equipment nowadays is rated for universal power,  90V-264V to cover the Japanese 100-10% requirement and the Australian 240 + 10% requirement.

Charles

the 10th planet
https://thetenthplanet.bandcamp.com/

The Tenth planet

Andre Majorel-8
On 2017-05-05 08:29 -0400, Charles Jowett wrote:

> the 10th planet
> https://thetenthplanet.bandcamp.com/

Ah, there you are. You're not easy to find. You should put your
oldies from 1999-2000 (_A day in a box_, _Hanging by a thread_,
_Wearing thin_...) on-line, they were really nice pieces of
weird, watchful, anti-hedonistic music. Memory Moog, right ?

Re: Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

Brian Willoughby
Thanks, Charles. That's interesting.

When I buy components at the hardware store, they're usually marked with a maximum rating of 125VAC or 250VAC. My breaker box measures 249VAC on the input side, and drops from there. I would think failing at 132V is fine given the limits of the hardware components.

Strangely, people often say "110" instead of "120" - and I've never understood the difference. 10% above 110VAC would be 121VAC, so perhaps that's it?

But it sure does seem like 117V is Roland's way of making sure that they don't get into trouble.

Brian

On May 5, 2017, at 5:29 AM, Charles Jowett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >I am interested in the GR-50 as a sound module for my Godin Freeway SA (SynthAccess) >guitar. I'm seeing a lot of eBay auctions and used units on Amazon.com, and all are from Japan >with a 100VAC requirement.
> >
> >Did Roland ever release a US market version of this module with 120VAC support?
> >
> >The Service Notes seem to list 100V, 117V, 220V, 240VE (UK) and 240VA. Are the 117V >"SJS-20J" AC Cords completely compatible with US voltages? How rare are the 117V units?
>
> Brian,
>
> The 117V is the US market version.  The line voltage is the US is 120V +/- 10% or 108V-132V.  Manufacturers will sometimes spec the voltage slightly lower.  I once worked for a company where we specified our product for 118V so we could pass the required 118 + 10% tests.  Our product would fail at 132V but would pass at 130V.
>
> Most equipment nowadays is rated for universal power,  90V-264V to cover the Japanese 100-10% requirement and the Australian 240 + 10% requirement.
>
> Charles

Re: The Tenth planet

Charles Jowett-2
>Ah, there you are. You're not easy to find. You should put your
>oldies from 1999-2000 (_A day in a box_, _Hanging by a thread_,
>_Wearing thin_...) on-line, they were really nice pieces of
>weird, watchful, anti-hedonistic music. Memory Moog, right ?
>
>--
>André Majorel http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/

Thanks André!!!  I will try to put that stuff back up on line.  I have to dig through my archives as my old web site went away a few years ago.  The hosting service was shut down for hosting illegal content.

Yes you are correct, those tracks are heavy on the MemoryMoog.  At that time my setup was Pro-One, MemoryMoog, ER-1 sequenced by a Roland MC-50 and recorded on a Sony 4 track MiniDisk.  I have since added a MicroWave XT but sadly the MemoryMoog gets less and less functional as time passes.

At that time I was heavily sleep deprived as I had three children less than 3 years old.  Those tracks were recorded late at night while the family was sleeping.  I would literally fall asleep while working on the tracks.  This probably explains the "watchful, anti-hedonistic" tone.

Thanks again for the positive feedback,

Charles
the 10th planet
https://thetenthplanet.bandcamp.com/

Re: Roland GR-50 … are there any US 120VAC models?

Brian Willoughby
Thanks for the calming advice, David. I did, indeed, eventually find a GR-50 for a reasonable price. It worked fine as soon as I stopped plugging in the 13-pin backwards (I didn't even know that was possible until I did it - must be the cheap cable I got online).

Brian