Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

12

Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Kenny Balys-2

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Michael Overacker
If they do re-release it, I hope that they downsize it a bit. Those synths were monsters to handle.

Michael Overacker
www.arpodyssey.com
www.arpexplorer.com

On 5/15/2017 9:02 PM, Kenny Balys wrote:

https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-working-on-oberheim-obxa-classic-synth-clone

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Brian Willoughby
Yes, downsize the cabinet - BUT NOT THE KEYS.

Rather than a mini-key version, just make a rack version with no keys at all, so long as it responds to Poly-AT. We have plenty of MIDI keyboards but not enough analog!

On May 15, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Michael Overacker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If they do re-release it, I hope that they downsize it a bit. Those synths were monsters to handle.
>
> Michael Overacker
> www.arpodyssey.com
> www.arpexplorer.com
>
> On 5/15/2017 9:02 PM, Kenny Balys wrote:
>>
>> https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-working-on-oberheim-obxa-classic-synth-clone

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Michael Overacker
Yes, that is what I meant. I guess I should have been a bit more specific. Smaller case, regular sized keyboard action. A rackmount would be nice as well.

Michael Overacker
www.arpodyssey.com
www.arpexplorer.com

On 5/15/2017 11:58 PM, Brian Willoughby wrote:
Yes, downsize the cabinet - BUT NOT THE KEYS.

Rather than a mini-key version, just make a rack version with no keys at all, so long as it responds to Poly-AT. We have plenty of MIDI keyboards but not enough analog!

On May 15, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Michael Overacker [hidden email] wrote:
If they do re-release it, I hope that they downsize it a bit. Those synths were monsters to handle.

Michael Overacker
www.arpodyssey.com
www.arpexplorer.com

On 5/15/2017 9:02 PM, Kenny Balys wrote:
https://ask.audio/articles/behringer-working-on-oberheim-obxa-classic-synth-clone

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Brian Willoughby
Wouldn't that require UB to resurrect the SSM2040 VCF (for the P5R2)?

The OB-X would need the CA3080, which should be possible since Intersil were a maker. Plus there are CEM3310 chips in the OB-X.

> i understand that the OB-Xa might be in reach now that CEM chips are available again, and that's all fine, but how about cloning the Prophet 5 rev 2 or OB-X as they are more sonically interesting...

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Jason Proctor
if you have the clout to make 2044s, you have the clout to make 2040s. and IMHO, one should have made 2040 clones before 2044 clones.

that's the only important part of the OB-X. 3080s are just OTAs, and 3310s are just ADSRs.

(i doubt actually that Behringer would make an OB-X clone, what with the OB-6 extant.)

#late_night_post

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wouldn't that require UB to resurrect the SSM2040 VCF (for the P5R2)?

The OB-X would need the CA3080, which should be possible since Intersil were a maker. Plus there are CEM3310 chips in the OB-X.

On May 15, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i understand that the OB-Xa might be in reach now that CEM chips are available again, and that's all fine, but how about cloning the Prophet 5 rev 2 or OB-X as they are more sonically interesting...

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Andre Majorel-8
On 2017-05-15 22:20 -0700, Brian Willoughby wrote:
> On May 15, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > i understand that the OB-Xa might be in reach now that CEM
> > chips are available again, and that's all fine, but how
> > about cloning the Prophet 5 rev 2 or OB-X as they are more
> > sonically interesting...

Why is the OB-X more sonically interesting than the OB-Xa ?

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Brian Willoughby

On May 16, 2017, at 1:00 AM, Andre Majorel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2017-05-15 22:20 -0700, Brian Willoughby wrote:
>> On May 15, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> i understand that the OB-Xa might be in reach now that CEM
>>> chips are available again, and that's all fine, but how
>>> about cloning the Prophet 5 rev 2 or OB-X as they are more
>>> sonically interesting...
>
> Why is the OB-X more sonically interesting than the OB-Xa ?

It's not necessarily "more" interesting, just that it's a completely different circuit. Although they both use a couple of CEM3310 Envelope Generators per voice, the commonalities end there.

The OB-X has a discrete VCO built on 3 op-amps and a dozen transistors per oscillator. The VCF is built on a pair of CA3080 stages - not quite discrete but certainly not a VCF-in-a-chip.

The OB-Xa has a CEM3320 for the 2-pole VCF and second CEM3320 to make the 4-pole VCF. It uses one CEM3340 for each VCO.

I haven't heard them side-by-side, but I imagine that they're as different as a VCO or VCF from different manufacturers.

Brian

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

DJ Maytag
If this were priced in the realm of the Deep Mind 12, this might just be doable for me someday. An OB6 desktop would be a dream to own, but secondhand at a good discount would be the only affordable option in the foreseeable future.

Cloning a pair of well known synths is a smart start for UB. Hopefully the can "resurrect" some more of the more rare/lesser known analog polys, and add some interesting functionality to them. Take what they did with the Minimoog clone and make a Memorymoog. An Elka Synthex clone would be pretty sweet too.

Mitch

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:52 AM Brian Willoughby <[hidden email]> wrote:

On May 16, 2017, at 1:00 AM, Andre Majorel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2017-05-15 22:20 -0700, Brian Willoughby wrote:
>> On May 15, 2017, at 9:40 PM, Jason Proctor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> i understand that the OB-Xa might be in reach now that CEM
>>> chips are available again, and that's all fine, but how
>>> about cloning the Prophet 5 rev 2 or OB-X as they are more
>>> sonically interesting...
>
> Why is the OB-X more sonically interesting than the OB-Xa ?

It's not necessarily "more" interesting, just that it's a completely different circuit. Although they both use a couple of CEM3310 Envelope Generators per voice, the commonalities end there.

The OB-X has a discrete VCO built on 3 op-amps and a dozen transistors per oscillator. The VCF is built on a pair of CA3080 stages - not quite discrete but certainly not a VCF-in-a-chip.

The OB-Xa has a CEM3320 for the 2-pole VCF and second CEM3320 to make the 4-pole VCF. It uses one CEM3340 for each VCO.

I haven't heard them side-by-side, but I imagine that they're as different as a VCO or VCF from different manufacturers.

Brian

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Giles Ward-2
> (i doubt actually that Behringer would make an OB-X clone, what with the
> OB-6 extant.)

They've got the trademarks for "Oberheim", "OX-Xa" and the old Oberheim
logo.  I bet we'll see an OB-Xa in the next year or so.  They made that
Minimoog clone in a few months.

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/music-group-ip-ltd-2252335/page2

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Steven Clements
If you are reading this Uli Behringer

 rack version would be a very desirable option as most of us have too many keyboards all ready.

That goes for all the synths you have in your upcoming treasure trove.

Steven

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Giles Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
(i doubt actually that Behringer would make an OB-X clone, what with the
OB-6 extant.)

They've got the trademarks for "Oberheim", "OX-Xa" and the old Oberheim logo.  I bet we'll see an OB-Xa in the next year or so.  They made that Minimoog clone in a few months.

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/music-group-ip-ltd-2252335/page2

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/music-group-ip-ltd-2252335/page2

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Kenny Balys-2

I hope that if they decide to plunk an LCD in there that it is a proper
OLED "text on black" display. My preference is red.

The display on their DeepMind series offends me a little. It looks like
some paper white leftoever from the last run of 90s fax machines.

Red OLED looks so nice. I put one in my Emax and it looks like it was
always there.

On 16.05.17 14:45 , Giles Ward wrote:
>> (i doubt actually that Behringer would make an OB-X clone, what with the
>> OB-6 extant.)
>
> They've got the trademarks for "Oberheim", "OX-Xa" and the old Oberheim
> logo.  I bet we'll see an OB-Xa in the next year or so.  They made that
> Minimoog clone in a few months.
>
> https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/music-group-ip-ltd-2252335/page2

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Kenny Balys-2

In total stage glare, nothing is going to be easy to see.

*even where the stage ends sometimes... waaaaa! SPLAT!

Still, OLED has such high contrast that it can cut through a lot of
that. Also, red does not wreck one's night vision like bright blue.

You can argue that the paper white display performs better under some
conditions but red OLED is generally better in my opinion.

On 16.05.17 16:11 , Steven Clements wrote:
> Red OLED isn't great in poor lighting is it?
>
> *
> Steven***

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

ChristianH-2
Ok, Kenny, just say it out load - you feel it looks more vintage, just
like a 7 segment display on a coal-driven Prophet ;-)

Chris

On Tue, 16 May 2017 16:19:10 +0000 Kenny Balys <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> In total stage glare, nothing is going to be easy to see.
>
> *even where the stage ends sometimes... waaaaa! SPLAT!
>
> Still, OLED has such high contrast that it can cut through a lot of
> that. Also, red does not wreck one's night vision like bright blue.
>
> You can argue that the paper white display performs better under some
> conditions but red OLED is generally better in my opinion.
>
> On 16.05.17 16:11 , Steven Clements wrote:
> > Red OLED isn't great in poor lighting is it?
> >
> > *
> > Steven***

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Kenny Balys-2

Ok... there is no sense in denying it anymore. I love red LED stuff, it
looks more vintage and its more awesomer. I will not listen to any facts
or reasonal argument that contradicts this. :)

On 16.05.17 16:38 , chris wrote:
> Ok, Kenny, just say it out load - you feel it looks more vintage,
> just like a 7 segment display on a coal-driven Prophet ;-)
>
> Chris

Aw: [AH] Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Frank Hettlich
I am asking myself why they choose the OB-XA as it is and always will be a little bit "temperamental" even after a complete overhaul due to the many parts used.

The OB-8 offers sonically more options, easier to maintain, uses far less parts and therefore probably easier to build.

I know that more people prefer the sound of the OB-XA to the OB-8 because the former is slightly more unstable (eq "richer" sounding). Don´t know if that will be true if the OB-XA would be made new but then you have less options compared to the OB-8.

I have both and would have a hard time to decide which one to keep or sell if I had to do so. I am actually more interested in a new OB-X or something similar (best would be the SEM multimode filter built into a OB-X).

Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Mai 2017 um 03:02 Uhr
Von: "Kenny Balys" <[hidden email]>
An: "Analog Heaven" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: [AH] Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

Re: Rumour: O'Behringer OB-Xa

DJ Maytag
I have a feeling I know, but it would be JUMP’ing to conclusions…

Mitch

Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Mai 2017 um 03:02 Uhr
Von: "Kenny Balys" <[hidden email]>
An: "Analog Heaven" <[hidden email]>