Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

12

Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

M V-5

This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Kenny Balys-2

Its a noise gate being opened by hats or claps, etc.

They were usually the cheapest ones so old Drawmer, etc.

You'll want a bit of release time so that it doesn't click.

On 22.04.17 21:47 , M V wrote:
> This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the
> gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno
> (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald -
> Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it
> just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

M V-5

That makes sense, thanks for confirming. it's an simple but effective effect.

On 22.04.17 21:47 , M V wrote:
> This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the
> gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno
> (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald -
> Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it
> just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Steven Clements
this ProChop is pretty cool
http://www.gig-fx.com/products/pro-chop/

Steven

On 22.04.17 21:47 , M V wrote:
> This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the
> gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno
> (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald -
> Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it
> just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Justin Maxwell
asked a few friends who used to put out records in the 90s

  • midi automating volume on the sampler
  • noise gate being opened by hats or claps
  • some rackmount fx unit they can't remember had a midi gate mode

On 22.04.17 21:47 , M V wrote:
> This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the
> gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno
> (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald -
> Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it
> just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Michael Taylor-14
This is a p good example of how the process works:

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Kenny Balys-2

Nice! There is that crappy Drawmer (that I love) :)

On 23.04.17 24:01 , Michael Taylor wrote:
> This is a p good example of how the process works:
>
> https://youtu.be/IvJHlrtCn2E

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Synth80s
If I recall correctly, I used a Yamaha SPX-90 for this type of thing back in the day, so maybe the FX unit your friends were thinking of.

synth80s

_____________________________

RE: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Lorne Hammond

i have an old yamaha delay and it has a square wave lfo in it. could be used to chop.

lornem

If I recall correctly, I used a Yamaha SPX-90 for this type of thing back in the day, so maybe the FX unit your friends were thinking of.

synth80s

_____________________________

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Travis Thatcher
Probably not the way it was done in most studios but i've found the snappiness of the Roland SH09's envelopes when triggered from an external source perfect for this application.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Lorne Hammond <[hidden email]> wrote:

i have an old yamaha delay and it has a square wave lfo in it. could be used to chop.

lornem

If I recall correctly, I used a Yamaha SPX-90 for this type of thing back in the day, so maybe the FX unit your friends were thinking of.

synth80s

_____________________________

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

M V-5

thanks for posting--cool to see!

And yes, in modern DAWs I've used the in-built Cubase VST midi-gate to achieve this.

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Florian Anwander-2
Just a side comment:

Some synths have also the possibility to add an external total gate to
the internal gates for the individual voices.
Most easy it is at the Juno 6/60:
http://www.florian-anwander.de/roland_juno6/

For the Polysix/Poly61 I built a little addon kit, which does the same:
http://www.florian-anwander.de/korg_polysix/
This page contains also an video-example for the

The big advantage is, that you still can form the resulting envelope
with the ADSR potentiometers of the synth, while with the noise gate
trick, the envelope is always a kind of ASR envelope.

Also  a third possibility is the Arpeggiator in the Roland Jupiter 4.
When you select the "semi UNISON" assignmode (I think it is UNISON-1)
then the synth does not arpeggiate, but plays chord repetitions on
external triggers. I think that is the how Human League did the
triggered chords in "Don't You Want Me".

Florian

http://www.florian-anwander.de

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Annika Morgan
That's really really cool Florian.

I guess my next mod is the tubbutec midi+Anwander Gate to my polysix...

And a 707? Maybe it's time to move on from my 505 I picked up for 50 bucks lol.

--

http://www.florian-anwander.de

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Florian Anwander-2
Hi Annika

Am 24.04.2017 um 13:05 schrieb annika morgan:
> And a 707? Maybe it's time to move on from my 505 I picked up for 50
> bucks lol.
I have to admit, that I prefer the 505 somehow over the 707. The 707
always needs some additional EQing and Compression (especially the bass
drum), while the 505 is perfect as it is - at least for my taste.

Florian

http://www.florian-anwander.de

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

Alex Sullivan-2

We used to use the Alesis 3630 back in the day, just putting something in the side chain, bass drum, whatever and using the gate. I wonder if its still in the loft? I think you had to just insert the cable halfway.

Triggered filter was used sometimes - triggering gates/env followers with rimshot and what not.

One of my favourite tricks with the AKAI MFC is to clock it MIDI and use the stereo filter offset with its LFO, you get some nice movement that way.

Alex

This is more a general production query, so forgive me, but how was the gated tremolo/chopping effect achieved in a lot of early house/techno (for reference, check the choppy vocal at the end of Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray). I don't think early Akai samplers could do this, so was it just clever midi-triggered gating using an outboard gate?

Experimental electronic music

Re: Slightly OT: Gated tremolo/choppy effect in early house/techno?

MarkEC ForumsLists
Thanks, it's useful to know how sidechain is different from this noise gate effect - I guess that is the same as ducking, in the UK we would know this from a DJ like Steve Wright talking over the end of a record (perhaps he has mellowed with age and doesn't do that so much)...

I'm also grateful to know about the Drawmer, this looks cheaper than the Kepex which was the only other keyed noise gate that I knew of. I'd been interested in Kepex after reading about Nile Rogers using it to key a string track with his guitar in Diana Ross's Upside Down and it is on the Aphex Twin Syro kit list. I could swear that CirclonT6A is the most obvious use but it isn't listed on that track!