Synth DIY Book Suggestions

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Jack Jackson
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Tom Bugs
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Zoe Blade
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Filip Sneppe
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

elmegil
Zoë's right on the money.  Electronotes is a long term must, but there
are a lot of things you will probably want to have under  your belt
before you embark on that journey  "the math is a bit heavy"
understates things a fair bit, I think.  That's the deep end of the
pool, while Ray's book is the shallow end, and Make: Electronics are
your water wings if you need them :).

Pete

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:25 AM, Zoë Blade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For the basics of synth building, try Make: Analog Synthesizers.  And for the more general circuit building groundwork, try Make: Electronics first.
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596153755.do
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028093.do
>
> All the best,
> Zoë.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Legion-2
CONTENTS DELETED

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Andrew Scheidler
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Paul McC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

BrightBoy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Andrew Horton
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

elmegil
You'd prefer to have the publisher pulp them so no one could have
them?  Or perhaps someone else to hoard them who would sell them for
more like $300 apiece like happens with Allen Strange's book?

Someone willing to sit on indefinite time stock, sell for a reasonable
price, at who knows what up-front cost is providing a community value,
and doing so legally, whether you like our current copyright laws or
not.  (note: I don't like them, but I don't go around ripping books
either).

Not to mention the whole argument about the value of books that you
can manipulate in ways that are still a pain on most tablet-like and
computer-like devices....

Pete

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, A. Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
> of hoarding?
>
> I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
> so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
> literary world.
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI:
>>

>> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
>> hardcover edition
>>
>> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
>> are new
>>
>> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>>

>> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>>

>> Contents can be seen here:
>>

>> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>>

>> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
>> reference book.
>>

>> Jeff

Mark S Glinsky
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Kylee Kennedy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Steven Clements
oh my

Steven

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Kylee Kennedy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Horton please rip that book! The amount of time it'll take to do it correctly...will keep you occupied and off this list for a good bit of time. Make sure to double check ALL the equations are OCR'd properly.

Amen, Pete.  It's amazing that someone supposedly involved in music can have this viewpoint.  So, let's say Andrew puts out an album of tunes or a CD.  I guess we live in a "post-scarcity musical world", so it's OK for EVERYONE to rip the music off his website, or his CD, and make it available everywhere completely for free.  Oh yeah - I'll bet that's "somehow" different...

You'd prefer to have the publisher pulp them so no one could have
them?  Or perhaps someone else to hoard them who would sell them for
more like $300 apiece like happens with Allen Strange's book?

Someone willing to sit on indefinite time stock, sell for a reasonable
price, at who knows what up-front cost is providing a community value,
and doing so legally, whether you like our current copyright laws or
not.  (note: I don't like them, but I don't go around ripping books
either).

Not to mention the whole argument about the value of books that you
can manipulate in ways that are still a pain on most tablet-like and
computer-like devices....

Pete

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, A. Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
> of hoarding?
>
> I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
> so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
> literary world.
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI:
>>

>> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
>> hardcover edition
>>

>> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
>> are new
>>
>> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>>

>> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>>

>> Contents can be seen here:
>>

>> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>>

>> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
>> reference book.
>>

>> Jeff

pdohman

Digital Signal Processing II

IEEE Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing Society

All sorts of Good stuff from Bell & MIT such as two dimensional filter theorems.

Back on topic when I get older I probably won’t utilize a pc for the reasons previously mentioned.

Regards

Patrick

To: [hidden email]
From: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:48:21 +0100
Subject: [AH] Synth DIY Book Suggestions

I think its time for me to up my knowledge regarding fixing and nodding synths.  For example,I recently posted a schematic for a Korg KR55 HH asking the question ' what party of this circuit controls the HH pitch'.

Any book recommendations please? I don't want to go hard-core but would love to be able to have a basic understanding of circuits..

Is this book any good:

Make: Analog Synthesisers by Ray Wilson

??

Are there better starter books?