Synth DIY Book Suggestions

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO
I think its time for me to up my knowledge regarding fixing and nodding synths.  For example,I recently posted a schematic for a Korg KR55 HH asking the question ' what party of this circuit controls the HH pitch'.

Any book recommendations please? I don't want to go hard-core but would love to be able to have a basic understanding of circuits..

Is this book any good:

Make: Analog Synthesisers by Ray Wilson

??

Are there better starter books?

Thanks all..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

RE: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Jack Jackson
Electronotes is awesome. Definitely buy the Musical Engineer's Handbook which is the best bits of Electronotes (basically how to build a synth). It's got everything you need http://electronotes.netfirms.com/PricesShipping.html The maths can be a bit heavy but you can still get what's going on. There's also  Barry Klein's 'Electronic Music Circuits'. The thing that taught me the most was building Jupiter 8 VCOs/Filters/EGs from the service manual schematics. Here's my MW post about it if you're interested : http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92595&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=3180bba2330e939aa0defd638dbd02cc

To: [hidden email]

London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Tom Bugs
I don't think there's any real shortcut or a source that'll 'teach it all' -- it is always going to be a gradual learning curve as you figure how to 'read' designs -- practice is everything - ie. read widely and constantly - it won't all make sense initially. (in fact, most will be befuddling, to be honest).

Electronotes is great but possibly overkill - not a 'starter' read. But it does cover a LOT of what goes on in modular designs - still very relevant.

I always find Ray Wilson's schematics impossible to understand! Due to the way they're drawn/laid-out.

You'll gradually learn to understand some basic building blocks - though I daresay the KR55 has a lot of transistor stuff which, personally, confused me a lot early on!

Hmph!

Saying that - I enjoyed Craig Anderton's book 'Electronic Projects for Musicians' early on - he's good at explaining a bit of WHY you may set things up in particular ways.
Today, I like Doug Self's 'Small Signal Audio Design' book - top notch info in there!

Enjoy the trip!
Tom

To: [hidden email]
From: [hidden email]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:48:21 +0100

--
BugBrand LTD
UK company No. 07199808
United Kingdom
www.bugbrand.co.uk

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Zoe Blade
For the basics of synth building, try Make: Analog Synthesizers.  And for the more general circuit building groundwork, try Make: Electronics first.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596153755.do
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028093.do

All the best,
Zoë.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Filip Sneppe
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Zoë Blade <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the basics of synth building, try Make: Analog Synthesizers.  And for the more general circuit building groundwork, try Make: Electronics first.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596153755.do
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028093.do

All the best,
Zoë.

Seconded, I have both and I highly recommend getting "Make: Electronics" as a first introduction. Also by the same author as is "Encyclopedia of Electronic Components volume 1" and later this year there will be a volume 2. They offer a somewhat more theoretical addition. I find volume 1 to be very useful too.

Two books I also purchased are "Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics" by Stan Gibilisco and "Electronics for Dummies (Dutch edition !)". TYE&E offers a good theoretical, schoolbook like approach with Q&A sections etc., but hardly any practical examples, whereas "Make: Electronics" starts from practical experiments and uses them to cover the theory. Electronics for Dummies was just too light to be useful.

Best regards,
Filip

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

elmegil
Zoë's right on the money.  Electronotes is a long term must, but there
are a lot of things you will probably want to have under  your belt
before you embark on that journey  "the math is a bit heavy"
understates things a fair bit, I think.  That's the deep end of the
pool, while Ray's book is the shallow end, and Make: Electronics are
your water wings if you need them :).

Pete

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 6:25 AM, Zoë Blade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For the basics of synth building, try Make: Analog Synthesizers.  And for the more general circuit building groundwork, try Make: Electronics first.
>
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596153755.do
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920028093.do
>
> All the best,
> Zoë.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Legion-2
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Collins' "Handmade Electronic Music" .
This is not a synth book entirely but it is a fantastic introduction to
DIY electronics and very well laid out for beginners teaching parts,
schematics, ICs, and even breadboard basics. Not sure if it's "too basic"
for someone already building and such but it certainly is best to err on
the side of building slowly than being overwhelmed IMO and this also is an
entertaining and fun read with very rewarding projects.

--
     ---------------------------------------
     NEW DAED SITE!!  -  Http://DaedSound.com

Music and Downloads at the New Online Site:
    http://davidtalento.bandcamp.com/

RE: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO
Thanks for the numerous replies!!

So, I have ordered:

Make Electronics: Learning by Discovery
Make: Analogue Synthesizers

I feel like a pro already!!!

Thanks again.

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Andrew Scheidler
Building some CGS boards are a good way to learn.  Ken has pretty good explanations of what's going on in the circuit (in his documentation).  Pick out a few of the simpler projects (like a mixer) and learn by doing  :-)

Drew

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM, foRUMS 4 punkdISCO <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the numerous replies!!

So, I have ordered:

Make Electronics: Learning by Discovery
Make: Analogue Synthesizers

I feel like a pro already!!!

Thanks again.

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

mcc_p
Hal Chamberlin'ses Musical Applicaitons of Microprocessors, more fun than they should have been allowed to have in 1980. I also read a real, real good article about progamming interactive soundscapes for pinball machines, making a rudimentary 3 voice synth out of a micrprocessor circa 1977 I think. Will try to find it.

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

BrightBoy

FYI:

I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition, hardcover edition

of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies are new

and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.

Price is $50 USD + shipping.

Contents can be seen here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg

Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great reference book.

Jeff

Re: Synth DIY Book Suggestions

Andrew Horton
Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
of hoarding?

I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
literary world.

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FYI:
>

> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
> hardcover edition
>
> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
> are new
>
> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>

> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>

> Contents can be seen here:
>

> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>

> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
> reference book.
>

> Jeff

You'd prefer to have the publisher pulp them so no one could have
them?  Or perhaps someone else to hoard them who would sell them for
more like $300 apiece like happens with Allen Strange's book?

Someone willing to sit on indefinite time stock, sell for a reasonable
price, at who knows what up-front cost is providing a community value,
and doing so legally, whether you like our current copyright laws or
not.  (note: I don't like them, but I don't go around ripping books
either).

Not to mention the whole argument about the value of books that you
can manipulate in ways that are still a pain on most tablet-like and
computer-like devices....

Pete

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, A. Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
> of hoarding?
>
> I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
> so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
> literary world.
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI:
>>

>> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
>> hardcover edition
>>
>> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
>> are new
>>
>> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>>

>> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>>

>> Contents can be seen here:
>>

>> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>>

>> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
>> reference book.
>>

>> Jeff

Mark S Glinsky
Amen, Pete.  It's amazing that someone supposedly involved in music can have this viewpoint.  So, let's say Andrew puts out an album of tunes or a CD.  I guess we live in a "post-scarcity musical world", so it's OK for EVERYONE to rip the music off his website, or his CD, and make it available everywhere completely for free.  Oh yeah - I'll bet that's "somehow" different...

You'd prefer to have the publisher pulp them so no one could have
them?  Or perhaps someone else to hoard them who would sell them for
more like $300 apiece like happens with Allen Strange's book?

Someone willing to sit on indefinite time stock, sell for a reasonable
price, at who knows what up-front cost is providing a community value,
and doing so legally, whether you like our current copyright laws or
not.  (note: I don't like them, but I don't go around ripping books
either).

Not to mention the whole argument about the value of books that you
can manipulate in ways that are still a pain on most tablet-like and
computer-like devices....

Pete

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, A. Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
> of hoarding?
>
> I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
> so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
> literary world.
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI:
>>

>> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
>> hardcover edition
>>
>> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
>> are new
>>
>> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>>

>> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>>

>> Contents can be seen here:
>>

>> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>>

>> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
>> reference book.
>>

>> Jeff

Kylee Kennedy
Horton please rip that book! The amount of time it'll take to do it correctly...will keep you occupied and off this list for a good bit of time. Make sure to double check ALL the equations are OCR'd properly.

Amen, Pete.  It's amazing that someone supposedly involved in music can have this viewpoint.  So, let's say Andrew puts out an album of tunes or a CD.  I guess we live in a "post-scarcity musical world", so it's OK for EVERYONE to rip the music off his website, or his CD, and make it available everywhere completely for free.  Oh yeah - I'll bet that's "somehow" different...

You'd prefer to have the publisher pulp them so no one could have
them?  Or perhaps someone else to hoard them who would sell them for
more like $300 apiece like happens with Allen Strange's book?

Someone willing to sit on indefinite time stock, sell for a reasonable
price, at who knows what up-front cost is providing a community value,
and doing so legally, whether you like our current copyright laws or
not.  (note: I don't like them, but I don't go around ripping books
either).

Not to mention the whole argument about the value of books that you
can manipulate in ways that are still a pain on most tablet-like and
computer-like devices....

Pete

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM, A. Horton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why did you bizarrely purchase the "last remaining supply" with intent
> of hoarding?
>
> I'll buy one of these for $50, and then chop, scan, and OCR the fucker
> so that it can be available to everyone. We live in a post-scarcity
> literary world.
>
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:46 PM, BrightBoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> FYI:
>>

>> I have the last remaining supply of the long Out-of-Print, 2nd edition,
>> hardcover edition
>>

>> of Musical Applications of Microprocessors by Hal Chamberlin.  All copies
>> are new
>>
>> and unread, straight from the Sam's/Hayden shipping cartoons.
>>

>> Price is $50 USD + shipping.
>>

>> Contents can be seen here:
>>

>> http://www.mindspring.com/~jdec/book/MAM.jpg
>>

>> Email me privately if anyone is interested in picking up this great
>> reference book.
>>

>> Jeff

pdohman

Digital Signal Processing II

IEEE Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing Society

All sorts of Good stuff from Bell & MIT such as two dimensional filter theorems.

Back on topic when I get older I probably won’t utilize a pc for the reasons previously mentioned.

Regards

Patrick

To: [hidden email]

London