Quantcast

The Great Stalacpipe Organ

Future_Sound _Of_Canada
A synthesizer it is not, but it's a bizarre enough instrument that I thought the list might find it interesting. It's a an organ that apparently operates a rubber-tipped hammers that strikes upon stalagmites (in the chromatic scale) over 3 and 1/2 acres of a cave in Virginia, USA... it's unique to say the least.

Recording from a tourist to the cave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNfJAhxnBYc

Cheers,

Andrew

Re: The Great Stalacpipe Organ

A. Horton
I grew up a few hours from there! We used to go there on field trips when I was in school. It's pretty amazing.

On Saturday, October 26, 2013, Future_Sound _Of_Canada wrote:
A synthesizer it is not, but it's a bizarre enough instrument that I thought the list might find it interesting. It's a an organ that apparently operates a rubber-tipped hammers that strikes upon stalagmites (in the chromatic scale) over 3 and 1/2 acres of a cave in Virginia, USA... it's unique to say the least.

Recording from a tourist to the cave: The Great Stalacpipe Organ

Cheers,

Andrew

RE: The Great Stalacpipe Organ

Future_Sound _Of_Canada
Rad. I bet that would be a lot of fun for a field trip.

Cheers,

Andrew