Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

omnichord
Hi all,
First time here, sorry if I'm doing things incorrectly. I've been searching the site and other sites and can't quite find an answer I'm looking for. This is basically what I'm doing:

Starting a clock on a Roland SBX-10
Running the DIN Sync out to a Garfield Mini Doc
Then running the DIN out from the Garfield to a Roland 707 and the 96 ppqn out from the Garfield to the clock in on an Oberheim DSX controlling an OBxA

Everything starts at the same time....but after a couple of measures, the DSX strays away. A friend of mine said maybe the ppqn signal needs to be lowered or raised in its strength. But from the Garfield diagram on the unit, it seems like it should just work.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jesse

P.S. In case anyone wants to suggest "hey, just get a midi upgrade for your oberheim and be done with it", yeah, I know. Consider this me trying to just solve a problem with gear I happened to acquire :)

Re: [SPAM] [AH] Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

Dan Nigrin
What operating system are you using in the DSX?  I believe that with one of the version upgrades, that changes to the firmware addressed an issue where the DSX would fall behind…

Disclaimer – I'm no expert on real world use of the DSX, but I've had my head buried in various DSX documentation on and off for the last few years as I (continue to) work on software to allow for programming sequences into it without using an Oberheim keyboard, similar to what I did for the Roland MC-202 and MC-4… I'm getting closer now!!

Dan
--
Dan Nigrin / Defective Records / http://defectiverecords.com
CycliC, M185 & Klee Sequencers / MC-4 & MC-202 Hack / Audio Plugin Player / General MIDI Player / Major Malfunction

P.S. In case anyone wants to suggest "hey, just get a midi upgrade for your oberheim and be done with it", yeah, I know. Consider this me trying to just solve a problem with gear I happened to acquire :)

RE: Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

Lorne Hammond

yes.  sounds like a problem i've seen locking two tr-808s that are masteréslave but the slave drifts over time, and gets worse the longer the sequence runs.  I am betting its something like what Roland called pre-scale, which is telling the drum machine sequencer to play the beats and tempo in 3/4 time or 4/4 time (waltz it or disco it!).  Roland stored rhythm info by itself in one memory slot, and the tempo and beats (your notes) elsewhere.  Oddly enough it had to be cleared from memory independently from the beats even if teh pattern was empty.  So in your case check the dsx manual for ways of setting an overall rhythm (3é4 or 4é4) which is also independent t of the tempo.  This is not about swing settings. And the manual was no big help for the TR.  So find out how to play in different notes per measure and clear that or set it to basic 4é4 and see if that fixes it for you.

Check the version of your dsx software.  In 3.1 the select page has a new select options menu and one deals with turning teh external clock ON (and off automatically when no signal is there.  If it is set OFF it maybe running on its own tempo.  I have an old scan manual if you need one.

Lorne in Canada

P.S. In case anyone wants to suggest "hey, just get a midi upgrade for your oberheim and be done with it", yeah, I know. Consider this me trying to just solve a problem with gear I happened to acquire :)

Re: Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

Vco3
HI the problem is with the minidoc, it does not  generate pure sync signals in the way it  creates  them.. IF you use a DMX or DX to sync the DSX you will see that they keep perfect time. THis problem also happens with the Linn LM1 and the minidoc...

P.S. In case anyone wants to suggest "hey, just get a midi upgrade for your oberheim and be done with it", yeah, I know. Consider this me trying to just solve a problem with gear I happened to acquire :)

Re: Trying to make DSX talk to Garfield Mini Doc

Paul
Hi Jeff:
Did you end up installing a MIDI kit into your LM1? How did that go? We have discussed troubles with syncing the LM1 in the past.
  Thanks,
         PT