Yamaha RX 5 Love?

12

Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Felixkrull2u

Hi Folks:

I got an RX5 a couple months ago after sort of wanting one for many years and I’ve found it to be lots of fun so far especially after finding a couple ROM cards for it.

 It was clearly a flagship instrument and seems like the Lincoln Continental of vintage drum machines: big, full of features, not the most nuanced or subtle of machines. The basic sounds are big and clunky and there’s lots of programmability for each sound which I’ve been exploring.

Mine needs a slider replaced or repaired but has held up well for the last 30 years otherwise.

Any other folks still enjoying their RX5s? Any resources such as new ROM cards or mods? Tricks or tips or rants or raves?

I guess Prince used one on Sign ‘O the Times and Cameo used one for most sounds on Word Up and I’m sure they were on a large percentage of tracks from the late 80s but they don’t get much mention or respect these days.

  I would look forward to any list members opinions and tips.

  Thanks,

               Paul T

               Paul T

               Paul T

Re: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Jason Proctor
love the crusty lo-fi sound of the RX5! sandpaper, yum.

i don't have one, but use samples loaded into my ESX, together with lo-fi sampled choirs and the like for a vaguely Sisters of Mercy vibe on a track a while back.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:31 PM, skunk3 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had one for a while. Very punchy drums. Not the most intuitive machine to use, but not the worst either. I didn't have any cards for mine. It's nice and big and feels like it was truly a flagship sort of device for it's time. It's basically the Yamaha equivalent of a Roland R8. The overall sound didn't suit me and my 'sound' so I flipped it. I can't say that I regret that. I've come to a point where I have no interest in hardware drum machines unless they have a lot of hands-on tweakability, like Elektron stuff for example. All in all I can see why certain people would like it... especially those who want quality 80s / early 90s sounding drums.

On Aug 11, 2017 9:12 PM, "Collin Crowe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
From what I understand they are a secret weapon among house / industrial producers and can still hang had for cheap. Wanted one for awhile myself

[...]

foRUMS 4 punkdISCO

HI Paul and Collin

> From what I understand they are a secret weapon among house / industrial producers and can still hang had for cheap. Wanted one for a while myself

I looked into the RX drum machines and in the end went for the RX7 which is almost identical apart from the below.

RX5

-ve only 24 samples

+ve Reverse on/off

+ve Loop on/off

+ve Separate Outs

+ve Volume Sliders

RX7

+ve 100 samples

The problem with the RX5 is the CRAZY prices people want to charge for the ROM cards which contain between 15 and 25 sounds meaning you need up to 5 of these to get to the RX7s 100 samples.  But like for like, I would happily swap the RX7 for a RX5 with a few ROMs  J

So yeah, I love the RX7 but programming seems more painful than is necessary.

I quite like this video btw.  Compares: Korg DDD-1 + Alesis HR-16 + Roland TR-626 + Yamaha RX-17

https://youtu.be/QwK5_fkdGko

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

[...]

               Paul T

Re: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Bill Thompson-9
I love drum machines, I've owned the Alesis HR-16, the Yamaha RX-7, The Korg DDD-1, and even had both a Linn and an Oberheim in residence way back when. Of the bunch I kept the SCI Drumtracks and an  Alesis D4. I haven't used the D4 nearly as much as I thought I would, and oddly, the Drumtracks gets used a little more than I expected.

I kept the D4 because it was a rack mount box, and it had a lot of sounds, and it had the trigger inputs, and so on. I should have kept either the Yamaha or Korg, I just liked their sounds better. Not sure why I didn't use that as my yardstick, I plead temporary insanity. In fairness, there are a few sounds in the D4 (and HR-16), that are really fun.

I kept the Drumtracks for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is (what a dummy) sentimental value. My first MIDI rig was a Commodore SX-64, the SCI MIDI cartridge (interface and sequencer), and the SCI Multitracks and Drumtracks. So yeah, I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

But, on my more pragmatic (frugal?) side, the Drumtracks is modified with ZIF sockets, and I also have the OB Prommer, so sounds are pretty much limitless. I have all the SCI  sounds, a ton of OB sounds, a bunch of Linn sounds, and of course lots of stuff I recorded myself. And some third party chips I purchased back when that was a thing<G>!

And even more than that (all those sounds are available in wav form, so I can play them from the computer), I like playing the Drumtracks. Sometimes, most of the time really, it is more satisfying for me to tap things out on pads, big pads (Roland Pad-8) or small, it just feels better than piano keys.

If I had the space, and the cash, I'd probably get a Korg, one of the Yamahas, and maybe a Linn and an OB. Fortunately for my wallet I don't have the space, and fortunately for my basement I don't have the cash!

Thanks for that video, and the opportunity to reminisce.

Musician / Engineer / Audio Enthusiast

Re: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

pdohman

On Aug 11, 2017, at 9:12 PM, Collin Crowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

From what I understand they are a secret weapon among house / industrial producers and can still hang had for cheap. Wanted one for awhile myself

Keep your eyes open for a Pearl SY-1 an often overlooked industrial/experimental drum synth as heard on Front Line Assembly’s "Bio-Mechanic"

I even recall Bill Leeb statinng in an interview that he is still a firm believer in the [Syncussion]dynamic range and experimental sound effects inherent to its unique and raw sounding oscillators!

Regards
Patrick

RE: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Felixkrull2u

I guess I’m a full on hardware drum machine nut:

I’ve had the Syncussion for 30 years; was raised on the LinnDrum, Linn 9000 and LM-1 and then got 808s, 909s, 707s, 606s, CR78s, etc.

Besides those, I also have:

Akai XR10

Yamaha RY30

Yamaha RX21

Amdek RMK 100

Roland Rhythm 77

Boss DR 55

Simmons SDS 8

Drumfire something or other

Korg KR 55

Korg KPR 77

Korg S3

Korg Minipops 35

Korg Minipops JR

Korg ER 1

Emu SP12

I sold a couple duplicate 808s and a 909 and an Akai XR-10 and a 707 and HR16 but pined for the Akai XR10 until I replaced it.

I blame Roger Linn for getting me started since the LM-1 and Linn Drum were such great chunks of hardware and so well designed and were my introduction to drum machines. If my first drum machine had been the HR 16 or even the RX 5 things might have been different.

I tried to bond with the RX5 in about 1992 when I was using Linns and all of the Roland machines and it just wasn’t happening.

 Should I seek counseling?

   Paul T

RE: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Michael Taylor-14
I've never owned one, but I seem to remember that they were know for having a pretty decent programming engine and they were one of the few drum machines from back then that had fairly extensive automation.

RY-30's were in vogue in the late 90's while there was still an IDM/techno crossover thing happening and those people had yet to ditch hardware for MacBooks.

They were in the same category as that Kawai drum module that Autechre used that was basically a K4 with drum samples. The name of the module escapes me.

Once upon a time, if you had a R8mkii, a RY30, and that Kawai you were basically set.

On Aug 12, 2017 5:07 PM, "skunk3" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

They are quite different:

  RY-30 as reviewed by Vintage Synth Explorer:

“ Its sounds come from a sample-based ROM synthesis engine belonging to Yamaha's SY/TG series of digital synthesizers. It's sounds are 16-bit, 48kHz PCM with digital multimode filters. It can store up to 100 user patterns and 20 songs, plus it comes with 100 preset patterns in various styles for instant drum accompaniment.

The RY30 has 90 waveforms, most of which are acoustic drum and percussion samples. There are an additional 6 analog waves including sine, triangle, and saw waves. Two oscillators can be layered per voice, and the voices can be pitched and played via MIDI. It has 16-note polyphony, but loses one voices to the metronome. There are eight touch sensitive pads dedicated to a certain type of drum sound. There are 96 drums sounds built-in (12 banks of eight). Additional sounds and patterns can be brought in via ROM cards for the RY30/RM50 as well as some SY/TG cards.

There are digital 12 and 24 db/oct hipass and lowpass filters which sound ok, and are great for contouring sounds. There are no effects except internal samples can be played in reverse. It also has four outputs that you can assign any drum sound to (kick, snare, hihat, etc). A nice little Modulation Wheel can adjust the pitch, decay time, pan, filter cutoff and the balance of the oscillators.”

 The preset patterns are fun, especially the House, techno, rap type stuff and they become monumental when sampled into a Casio FZ-20M at double time and then slowed back down and filtered. It becomes cinematic and mesmerizing.

RE: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Felixkrull2u

The Kawai you are thinking of is of course the XD-5 and I have one of those too.

My Casio RZ-1 also should’ve been on the list.

Re: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Adam Muntner
RX-5 is pretty amazing for sound programming. 2 octaves of pitch control, pitch bend, envelopes with 6 parameters, loop mode. Lots of individual external outs. My wife calls it "Darth Vader."

RX-5 is up there with the Korg DDD-1. The DDD-1 has many similar features but has a nifty sampling board. Downside: those voices don't have envelope controls as the DDD-1 ROM voices do. The DDD-1 has many more available ROM voice cards than the RX-5.

The RY-30 is great, too. I had one during the 90s. The control wheel on it is a especially a lot of fun. I have been tempted for a while to get another and the aftermarket ram card (http://www.sector101.co.uk/waveblade.html)

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Patrick Dohman <[hidden email]> wrote:

From what I understand they are a secret weapon among house / industrial producers and can still hang had for cheap. Wanted one for awhile myself

Patrick

Sent from The Off World Colonies.

Sent from The Off World Colonies.

Re: Yamaha RX 5 Love?

Rob-106
I really enjoyed the RX machines that I’ve had. I had the misfortune to lend them out, and they got disappeared, but that happens. I found them much easier to use than the Roland X0X boxes. It’s weird though as now the only machines I have left are the 808, and the 909. lolz

I think the coolest little machine I’ve played with though is the Tom. You could do some pretty amazing things with that box, and you could program your own roms without too much trouble. The sound quality wasn’t as good as the RXes, but it was way more fun.