prophet vs and a noritake VFD

Shawn Rudiman
hi all.

i tried to make a Nortiake VFD work in my VS, but alas, the ps section cant
handle the draw of the VFD.  so id advise against it unless someone can tell
me how to up the amperage (500ma max on the vs) to supply more to the boards
and such. the VFD needs 150-200ma alone (per noritake specs) so thats what
the overheat isssue was from. i switched back to the burnt out lcd and all
was fine for hours with no issues.  so...i guess i'd need t supply at least
750-800ma to it all or possibly more to be safe..?

i'd advise against it with and unaltered ps section. you'll burn it up. i
almost did. :)

was wondering if you could hack in an external 5v line to the LCD/VFD
section. (pins 1+2 on the lcd pins are +5 and ground.. ) so if you ran a
walwart power for just the vfd im wondering how that would affect the rest
of the unit..?

any ideas. im deteremined to make it work in there. it looked SO good.

thanks !!!

shawn rudiman

Re: prophet vs and a noritake VFD

Cary Roberts
>was wondering if you could hack in an external 5v line to the LCD/VFD
>section. (pins 1+2 on the lcd pins are +5 and ground.. ) so if you ran a
>walwart power for just the vfd im wondering how that would affect the rest
>of the unit..?

Did you remove the inverter before trying the VFD?  You may free up
sufficient power for the VFD by ensuring the original inverter isn't
powered.

If that doesn't help use a small AC to DC switch mode supply.  Make sure you
leave the original ground on the ribbon cable in place and bond the ground
from the external power adapter to it.  Jameco has some nice lump in the
middle switch mode 5V adapters for under $10.  You can grab AC power from
the terminal block between the transformer and the external voltage
selection switch.

-Cary

Re: prophet vs and a noritake VFD

blchrr-2
Im thinking of having this done to my VS rack and Studio 440.. let us know
how you get on :)

> hi all.
>
> i tried to make a Nortiake VFD work in my VS, but alas, the ps section cant
> handle the draw of the VFD.  so id advise against it unless someone can tell
> me how to up the amperage (500ma max on the vs) to supply more to the boards
> and such. the VFD needs 150-200ma alone (per noritake specs) so thats what
> the overheat isssue was from. i switched back to the burnt out lcd and all
> was fine for hours with no issues.  so...i guess i'd need t supply at least
> 750-800ma to it all or possibly more to be safe..?
>
> i'd advise against it with and unaltered ps section. you'll burn it up. i
> almost did. :)
>
> was wondering if you could hack in an external 5v line to the LCD/VFD
> section. (pins 1+2 on the lcd pins are +5 and ground.. ) so if you ran a
> walwart power for just the vfd im wondering how that would affect the rest
> of the unit..?
>
> any ideas. im deteremined to make it work in there. it looked SO good.
>
> thanks !!!
>
> shawn rudiman

prophet vs and a noritake VFD

Shawn Rudiman
ive done it to my 440.

i used the noritake CU16025ECPB-W2J display. they "just" fit. the 440 has 4
brazed on posts and you can get 2 of them to just fit. the problem is that
the posts arent long enough ( from the faceplacte back) to accomodate the
depth of the VFD. i was able to get the nuts on mine to turn maybe a full
roation. enough to be on the the threads. its not too bad to do.. other than
the pain in the ass connector between the 2 boards. i love that one. ugh.  i
also re did every switch (highly recommended if yours are funky). mouser
electronics here in the u.s still has all the switches. same exact ones. it
took me about 3 hours to do every one and cost roughly about 100 u.s.
dollars.  the 440 VFD is 100% cool. i use it regularly and it has no issues
(well.. its a 440.. u undertstand...:)   )

the vs... well i had the vfd in .. physically it is a tough one.. i went
with a newer version of the CU16025ECPB-W2J which is the CU16025-UW6J.
according to the rep at noritake, they are identical in spec. (minus the 50
ma higher current draw...) and are thinner from top to bottom. you have to
use this model for the VS - the vs has very little room since the lcd sits
on the switch board and between the switch board and the faceplate.. so
every mm counts! although i believe the 14 pin connectors are oriented
differently than the 2J.which leads to part 2 : making 14 jumper wires that
go from the VFD pin outs locations to the 14 pin spots on the PCB for the
old LCD. part 3: mounting.  the mounting hole are very different. luckily
the same hardware from the old lcd can be re-used. what has to be done
though is that new mounting holes must be drilled into the switchboard and
then holes drilled to acomodate the taller components on the vfd. (2 of
them) luckily there is a wide open field of blank PCB behind the display
area.  i used a dremel tool with their drill bits  to do all the work. its
small, clean and neat.  i had the vfd in and working. all was good,and she
sure did look beautiful.  but the higher current draw, taxes the vd power
supply far too much for it handle. it overheats and causes the vs to reset
over and over again after about 10-15 minutes.

so , the vfd needs another power source for it to be installed into the vs
without re-doing the ps. section to supply more power (faaarrrr to
complicated for me) so im searching for a suitable 5v replacement ps for the
vfd alone) . i found one last night.  newer usb zip drives have a small
switching 5v power supply. its perfect. it will fit in the vs and someone on
here told me how to tap into the power correctly so im researching that now.
it should be possible.  im going to make sure before i do all the
desoldering and resoldering again..:). working on the vs makes me itchy..

ill take a pic or 2 in referene the VFD for it..

thanks hope this helps or clears anything up if anyones thinking of it...
shawn rudiman