some help building a rack for doepfer

Brett Maddaford-2
Hi All

Am helping a friend put together a case for some doepfer modules but
just wanted to confirm a few things. I've found a PS thats +\-12v, 1.0A,
50W which seems to be plenty for a couple of rows....correct? and it
also has +5v at 4.0A which seems plenty if 5V is needed. This is the
same as the PS in my analogue systems modular and it works fine, as far
as i can tell doepfer and AS are the same in PS requirements is that
correct?

The only other thing i wanted to check is doepfer appear to use the same
16 pin DIL socket for power connections as AS is that correct?  Its
obviously alot cheaper to solder my own sockets on a long stip of
project board like ive done with my AS instead of paying $50 for one
from doepfer etc

Thanks in advance
Brett

Re: some help building a rack for doepfer

STAG EJECTOR
Hey Brett,

On Jun 27, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Brett Maddaford wrote:
> . This is the
> same as the PS in my analogue systems modular and it works fine, as
> far
> as i can tell doepfer and AS are the same in PS requirements is that
> correct?

Correct!

> The only other thing i wanted to check is doepfer appear to use the
> same
> 16 pin DIL socket for power connections as AS is that correct?  Its
> obviously alot cheaper to solder my own sockets on a long stip of
> project board like ive done with my AS instead of paying $50 for one
> from doepfer etc

Doepfer uses 16-pin 2-row headers with 0.1" pin spacing... the
connection to the module is just a simple ribbon cable with the
appropriate connector. The pinout is the bottom of the following
helpful image:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/usercomm/conversion.jpg

Should be just as cheap to make a homemade busboard for your Doepfer
stuff.

-Scott

Re: some help building a rack for doepfer

Julian-3

> > The only other thing i wanted to check is doepfer appear to use the
> > same
> > 16 pin DIL socket for power connections as AS is that correct?  Its
> > obviously alot cheaper to solder my own sockets on a long stip of
> > project board like ive done with my AS instead of paying $50 for one
> > from doepfer etc

One thing that you should pay attention to is the amps and the capacity of
the stripboard.  I know on my own busses i had one issue with a strip
burning out.  I dont know if it had a flaw anyway though, possibly from
bending, but either way, it went.

Ive since re-enforced all the strips with tinned copper wire on the back as
well.  Probably easier to do this at the start though - i certainly would.

Julian

Re: some help building a rack for doepfer

Florian Anwander
Hi Brett

> The only other thing i wanted to check is doepfer appear to use the same
> 16 pin DIL socket for power connections as AS is that correct?
Same sockets but different pin out (as far as I know). For the right
pinout see http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

Florian

Re: some help building a rack for doepfer

ND KENT

>> The only other thing i wanted to check is doepfer appear to use
>> the same
>> 16 pin DIL socket for power connections as AS is that correct?
>>
> Same sockets but different pin out (as far as I know). For the right
> pinout see http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

... that still doesn't sound right though the Doepfer reference
surely is correct.

Okay first off I have to say that anyone who just writes "AS" is
bound to confuse people somewhere along the line because of the two
British companies with those initials.

Fortunately the Integrator AS people use a very different connector.

Anyway the response to the pinout issue is I'm sure the Concussor AS
folks used the same connector as they wanted you to put them in
Doepfer racks. I can assure you that they are compatible with Doepfer.

Now here is the literal twist I guess. I have some third party
modules that definitely need the connectors rotated 180 degrees. You
know, a half twist in the ribbon cable .

I think Doepfer ordered the pinouts specifically to minimize risk if
you did insert it upside down, but none the less double check and
there seems to be almost always some printing on the module's circuit
board with enough voltage info to orient it.

Re: some help building a rack for doepfer

Oakley Sound
Further to Nick's answer.

ASys [Analogue Systems] uses 16 pin DIL sockets ie. 2 x 8 on a 0.3" wide
body and 0.1" pitch. These are basically IC sockets. They connect to a
16 way IDC cable.

Doepfer uses either 2 x 5 or 2 x 8 IDC male headers. These are 0.1" wide
and 0.1" pitch.

The two are not compatible without some sort of conversion board.

ASys do a little conversion board.

Tony

www.oakleysound.com

RE: some help building a rack for doepfer

Brett Maddaford-2
Hi All

Thanks for the help on all this, I can easily buy some IDC headers and
make up a distribution board anyway ;)

And yeah sorry I should have said Asys not just AS

Brett