stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Chris Lehfeldt
I moderate on a chipmusic forum and someone had posted about a Hammond
Novachord for sale.  I saw the post and immediately thought its a scammer,
no way anyone selling a novachord is going to be trying to sell it on a
chipmusic forum.   Chipsmusic gear is super cheap and its just not the
place got to be some kind of scam.

"My wife  has  a novachord  available. Been  in
Family  since  1956. Used at CBS Studio  NY City.   Her father worked for
CBS for 20 years.  Clearing out estate."

This was the body of the message with a phone number and a juno.com email.

I talked with another member of the forum about it and he said there were a
couple of things that made him think that it might be legit mostly the juno
email address.  I'd never heard of it but he said its an older web service
kind of like AOL and that his grandparents use it.   So i decided to call
the number to see who answered.  I ended up talking with a lovely lady who
told me that her father had bought it and that they're in the process of
trying to sell it and if i wanted i could be emailed some pics when they
got them done.

A couple day later i got these pics in my inbox, which was pretty cool.  I
asked her if it was ok to share the pictures and her contact info with
anyone who might be interested or could give her guidance to what its
worth.  And of course this list came to mind.

Lauren Prahar
[hidden email]

And just so everyone knows..  My birthday is coming up on june 2nd if
anyone is feeling nice

​​
​​
​​
​​
​​

Chris

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Kenny Balys-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BNvemnifWc

Dream synth!!!

On 14.05.17 21:44 , Chris Lehfeldt wrote:

> I moderate on a chipmusic forum and someone had posted about a Hammond
> Novachord for sale.  I saw the post and immediately thought its a scammer,
> no way anyone selling a novachord is going to be trying to sell it on a
> chipmusic forum.   Chipsmusic gear is super cheap and its just not the
> place got to be some kind of scam.
>
> "My wife  has  a novachord  available. Been  in
> Family  since  1956. Used at CBS Studio  NY City.   Her father worked for
> CBS for 20 years.  Clearing out estate."
>
> This was the body of the message with a phone number and a juno.com
> <http://juno.com/> email.

RE: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Felixkrull2u

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

RE: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Peter Forrest

A wonderful instrument which spawned one of the great adverts ever.... the one which says something like ‘the man who missed the 8.12 train’ with an image of a guy immersed in the sounds.

All that around 1940....

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

James R. Coplin-2
Unfortunately, some museums are interested in acquiring it which means it will probably be beyond the budget of any of us here and go under glass.

James R. Coplin

Peter Forrest wrote:

[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:520-885-9006">520-885-9006 <(520)%20885-9006>
[hidden email]

And just so everyone knows..  My birthday is coming up on june 2nd if
anyone is feeling nice

​​

​​

​​

​​

​​

--

Chris

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Steven Clements
Unless is goes to Calgary Alberta's Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre
https://nmc.ca/

Then you can visit and play it, and record it

Steven

Peter Forrest wrote:

A wonderful instrument which spawned one of the great adverts ever.... the one which says something like ‘the man who missed the 8.12 train’ with an image of a guy immersed in the sounds.

All that around 1940....

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

James R. Coplin-2
The Smithsonian was mentioned as one of the interested parties. I suspect they out budget everyone by several orders of magnitude.

James

Sent from my iPad

Chris

Chris

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

elmegil
"one of these things is not like the others..."

Well, sorta 2, but the the second actually is a classic in its own way.

LOL.

Peter Forrest wrote:

A wonderful instrument which spawned one of the great adverts ever.... the one which says something like ‘the man who missed the 8.12 train’ with an image of a guy immersed in the sounds.

All that around 1940....

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

RE: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Lorne Hammond

they got already.  lorne

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

RE: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Lorne Hammond

it would be shocking that they did not have a Hammond

Lorne Hammond (actually have friends who are curators there)

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

RE: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

Lorne Hammond

Puts on different dusty hat from day job.  Cough, cough.

Actually, clean condition is an exhibit/conservation assessment. It is not teh determining factor.

What has wham for the Smithsonian (thinking professionally) is:

1) US invention/inventor visionary.  Music/acoustics/electricity/Lauren Hammond

2) Epic vision of the future of music on the eve of WWII played at the World's Fair in 1939.

3) Provenance: Solid history of use through the deceased owners career showing heavy use in New York at a major US network.

Taken together 1+2+3 meets requirements of statement of national significance needed for entry into collection.

Supported by exhibition state and conservation state.  Five layers of significance plus available budget = yes, proceed with acquisition.

Purchase can be combination of cash or tax receipt at fair market value.  Shipping paid by Smithsonian.

Instructions to field crew: Collect user manuals, service manuals, parts. Arrange safe shipping Artpack or other museum shipper. Collect history of user, images of owner and any other players, images of instrument in use, including film, any audio recordings it was used on, personal papers (fonds) relating to owner's career.

That's how it works in the big league.

Lorne

Wow, it looks very clean. No puddle of PCBs from leaky capacitors oozing out underneath it anyway.

Re: stumbled upon a novachord for sale.

pdohman

An apparently reclusive owner who must of cared for her own equipment.

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Patrick